Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/05/22 21:03:35 UTC

Cute usage of the Tomcat logo...

Forgive the unabashed plug for IBM software, I just liked the clever use of
the Tomcat mascot ;-)

   http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf

- Sam Ruby

Re: debugging tomcat...

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <ch...@netscape.com>.
Hi Jon, I'm using the Visual Cafe debugger to debug my Tomcat applications.
I think using a debugger is the best way to debug this kind of complex
applications.
And since you have the source code, running Tomcat in Cafe in debug mode is not
too complicated.
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/data/document2389?OpenDocument
explains how to run Tomcat in Visual Age.
If you're interested I can share a document I created for my team to show how
to achieve the same goal with Cafe.

P@

jon * wrote:

> I'm trying to debug a problem with this session serialization stuff with
> Tomcat on my win98 box and System.out/err.println() doesn't seem to print
> out anything to the console window that is created with the startup.bat
> script...how do you guys do debugging (other than running in a debugger)???
>
> essentially, the session serialization stuff is working for simple objects
> like Strings, but it doesn't seem to be working from within a Turbine
> context...:-( even worse is that the same code runs just fine within
> JServ...:-(
>
> i think that i'm going to steal Turbine's singleton based simple log system
> and use it instead...
>
> -jon
>
> --
>     Java Servlet Based - Open Source  |        Collab.Net
>         Bug/Issue Tracking System     |   now hiring smart people
>        <http://scarab.tigris.org/>    |  <http://Collab.Net/jobs/>

Patrick Chanezon, iPlanet Market Maker- Portal/EServices Technical Lead
Netscape Communications Corp. - http://people.netscape.com/chanezon/
Opinions are my own.

"Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: `The flag is moving.'
The other said: `The wind is moving.'
The sixth patriach happened to be passing by. He told them: `Not the wind, not
the flag; mind is moving.'"
Zen Koan

Re: exception on starting tomcat...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > Anyone know why I'm getting this exception? I'm using the latest Tomcat
> > stuff from CVS...exactly which XML related packages do I need in my
> > classpath? all this JAXP stuff has me pretty confused now...
>
> Get JAXP 1.0.1, unzip, and add parser.jar and jaxp.jar to your classpath.

And remove "../lib/xml.jar".  It is not JAXP-compatible.

> Remy

Craig

Re: exception on starting tomcat...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@exoffice.com>.

Posted by jon * <jo...@latchkey.com>.
Anyone know why I'm getting this exception? I'm using the latest Tomcat
stuff from CVS...exactly which XML related packages do I need in my
classpath? all this JAXP stuff has me pretty confused now...

I have tried the xml.jar that comes with Ant as well as the
Xerces-1.0.3.jar...nothing seems to work...

Using classpath:
..\classes;..\lib\webserver.jar;..\lib\jasper.jar;..\lib\servle
t.jar;..\lib\xml.jar;c:\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar;c:\classes\jaxp-1.0.1\jaxp.jar;
C:\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar

Exception in thread "main" javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
com.sun.
xml.parser.SAXParserFactoryImpl
        at
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:
84)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:214)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:185)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:205)

--

Posted by co...@costin.dnt.ro.
> I'm trying to debug a problem with this session serialization stuff with
> Tomcat on my win98 box and System.out/err.println() doesn't seem to print
> out anything to the console window that is created with the startup.bat
> script...how do you guys do debugging (other than running in a debugger)???

Open a command window, start tomcat with:
" tomcat.bat run "

You can also remove the path from the <logger> attributes to get the
output of logs on the console.

> i think that i'm going to steal Turbine's singleton based simple log system
> and use it instead...

Great, if it's under apache please check it in ! ( in a separate
package if possible ).

Costin

debugging tomcat...