Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/03/27 18:41:54 UTC

[compress] progress monitoring

Hi all

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-207 asks for progress
tracking inside BZip2CompressorInputStream. As such I think the request
is to narrow (why add it for bzip2 but not gzip2?) and I created the
branch COMPRESS-207 for a prototypical implementation. This is
incomplete since I only really added support for bzip2 and only on the
reading side[1].

Is this a feature we generally want to see in compress? And if so, does
the branch make sense or should we tackle this in a different way?

Stefan

[1] right now CompressorOutputStreams don't even provide the number of
    bytes written.

Re: [compress] progress monitoring

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-03-28, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 27/03/2016 18:41, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

>> Is this a feature we generally want to see in compress? And if so, does
>> the branch make sense or should we tackle this in a different way?

> I like the idea of progress tracking, and the implementation on the
> branch is ok (I'd just add a try-catch around the calls to notify(), so
> an error in a listener doesn't prevent the others from getting the
> notification).

Good catch, thanks.

> That said, maybe the concept of progress tracking is more general than
> [compress] and could be implemented as a decorator stream in [io]

Maybe in addition what I've done since right now notification would
happen at format specific events like starting a new block - this is
something the underlying stream doesn't recognize.

> (along with an approximation of the time left to process the stream).

Hard to say when a stream doesn't know how much data is waiting to get
processed :-)

Stefan

Re: [compress] progress monitoring

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I've had progress streams and writers laying around for a long time. I'll
have to take the time to donate them to [io]...

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/