Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Joe Mihalich <jm...@questerra.com> on 2002/03/15 01:03:36 UTC

FW: Batik, FOP, and PDF

	Hello, (sorry if this got sent twice)

	   I have a few questions regarding the relationship between FOP
and 	Batik.

	   From what I understand from reading docs on the xml apache
web 	site,	FOP has "extended" batik in some fashion and added a PDF
transcoder along with a few other classes.

	   Here are my questions:

 	1) when you download the FOP binaries, you get most of the batik
binaries in a batik.jar file. However, there is a new class in
org.apache.batik.gvt called GraphicsNodeRendereContext.  This file
does not show up in the batik 1.5 beta download.  Wouldn't the FOP
developers have checked these files into the batik cvs tree:
org.apache.batik.gvt?

	2) I'm confused in that, it seems the only way to convert SVG
files to  	PDF files is to download the FOP library and run the
rasterizer from 	the FOP batik.jar and point the class path to
the fop.jar and crimson-	parser.jar files.  It seems logical,
that at some point here, I should 	be able to download the
batik-1.x binary, and the FOP 0.x binary, and 	run the rasterizer from
the batik downloads jar file.  That would 	assume that the batik
engine is looking for transcoder classes
	dynamically, without import statements.

	It just seems weird that I have to do one of the following to
support the file formats we need:

	   a) use the batik binaries to convert svg to png, and jpg's.
and 		use the separate fop library for converting svg to pdf.
Not 		that two VM's would be needed since the batik binaries
are 			different

	   b) use the FOP binaries to do all conversion from svg to
png,jpg, 		pdf.  Note that this is
	      risky as well in it's current phase because, I don't see
any 		indication of what "version"
	      of batik the fop binaries are based on.

	3) Why is crimson-parser missing from the fop binary
distribution?  	They ship batik.jar and fop.jar...but the rasterizer
won't run unless 	crimson-parser.jar is in the class path. I have
to get this from the 	batik binary distribution.

        Any clarification would be appreciated.

	Thanks,
	Joe

Re: FW: Batik, FOP, and PDF

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
> 	3) Why is crimson-parser missing from the fop binary
> distribution?  	They ship batik.jar and fop.jar...but the
> rasterizer
> won't run unless 	crimson-parser.jar is in the class path. I have
> to get this from the 	batik binary distribution.

I missed this question.

The reason is that batik doesn't need the *crimson* parser the parser that
comes with FOP works fine.