Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "D. Stimits" <st...@idcomm.com> on 2001/10/10 02:58:27 UTC

configuration philosophy Q

I'm new to xerces, and am curious about something in configuration. I
don't see a reason for something at the moment, but usually someone does
have a reason for such a thing, I just don't see it yet: Why must the
XERCESCROOT be set outside of Makefile.in and the build environment in
general? This could be part of the configuration stage since I can't
imagine building xerces from outside of the xerces source, unless there
is some requirement for distributed source. Is this due to some special
development environment? It complicates using xerces with other projects
at times.

D. Stimits, stimits@idcomm.com