Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org> on 2016/01/19 17:50:50 UTC

MirrorMaker —new.producer

Hi all,

I finally have a need to understand MirrorMaker well.  I’m running Kafka
0.8.2.2.  I see that my version of MirrorMaker has a —new.producer option,
which uses NewShinyProducer instead of OldProducer.

Without —new.producer, kafka-console-producer.sh seems to produce byte
messages that cause OldProducer to error with java.lang.ClassCastException:
[B cannot be cast to java.lang.String. So, it seems I should use
—new.producer, yes?  If so, are there other producer options I should be
aware of?

I have found
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-3+-+Mirror+Maker+Enhancement,
but that seems to be relevant to MirrorMaker in 0.9, correct?

Thanks!
-AO

Re: MirrorMaker —new.producer

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
> Without —new.producer, kafka-console-producer.sh seems to produce byte
messages that cause OldProducer to error with java.lang.ClassCastException:
[B cannot be cast to java.lang.String

Ah sorry, I just realized that’s probably because my producer.properties
settings had serializer.class=kafka.serializer.StringEncoder.

But still, should I be using —new.producer?