Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> on 2021/06/29 13:51:34 UTC

Enable osgicheck-maven-plugin in parent

Hi,
there are some useful checks in https://github.com/apache/felix-dev/tree/master/tools/osgicheck-maven-plugin which could help improve the code quality of Sling Modules. What do you think about enabling these by default in the upcoming parent release?

The code seems pretty much unmaintained now I still consider the checks useful.
Or is there any other tool (maybe some bnd plugin) which does a similar validation?

Thanks for you thoughts in advance,
Konrad

Re: Enable osgicheck-maven-plugin in parent

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

when I wrote that code I just used what I knew best to get something out
quickly :)

I think it should be easy to rewrite this as a bnd plugin, especially as
bnd knows all the annotations as well.

Regards
carsten

Am 30.06.2021 um 08:38 schrieb Konrad Windszus:
> IMHO Sonar is nowadays a good replacement for both SpotBugs and PMD as all relevant rules are implemented there.
> Checkstyle is mostly for formatting rules IIRC so I don't know if that is a good fit for semantic code checks....
>
> Best would be to implement directly in Bnd or as Bnd plugin as that already warn for some violations of best practices...
> @Carsten: Have you considered donating the code of osgicheck-maven-plugin to bnd (implemented as plugin)?
>
> Konrad
>
>> On 29. Jun 2021, at 22:13, Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 15:51:34 CEST Konrad Windszus wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hi Konrad,
>>
>>> there are some useful checks in
>>> https://github.com/apache/felix-dev/tree/master/tools/osgicheck-maven-plugi
>>> n which could help improve the code quality of Sling Modules. What do you
>>> think about enabling these by default in the upcoming parent release?
>>>
>>> The code seems pretty much unmaintained now I still consider the checks
>>> useful. Or is there any other tool (maybe some bnd plugin) which does a
>>> similar validation?
>>
>> I'm currently looking (again) into Sonar, SpotBugs, PMD and Checkstyle.
>> I guess those OSGi checks can be partially implemented as Checkstyle checks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> O.
>>

>>> Thanks for you thoughts in advance,
>>> Konrad

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Enable osgicheck-maven-plugin in parent

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 15:51:34 CEST Konrad Windszus wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Konrad,