Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Ranjan K. Baisak" <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/13 12:34:20 UTC

Dynamic index building is expensive

 Hello,
My application used swing and a data base application.
For searching mechanism, I'm using Lucene. I used to
build the index during application startup and any
change to the DB also makes change the index. So I
have a thread which looks if any change has occurred
in DB and if so then updates index. This way of search
is too expensive and also does not have any
performance benefit compare to DB search compare to
million of records in DB. Any suggestion to make index
dynamic with multiuser environment.

regards,
Ranjan

Re: Dynamic index building is expensive

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 13, 2005, at 6:34 AM, Ranjan K. Baisak wrote:

>  Hello,
> My application used swing and a data base application.
> For searching mechanism, I'm using Lucene. I used to
> build the index during application startup and any
> change to the DB also makes change the index. So I
> have a thread which looks if any change has occurred
> in DB and if so then updates index. This way of search
> is too expensive and also does not have any
> performance benefit compare to DB search compare to
> million of records in DB. Any suggestion to make index
> dynamic with multiuser environment.

So the issue is how to update the Lucene index more rapidly when data
in the DB changes?

If there is a single point of code that DB code goes through and all DB
changes are under your control then hooking that point for updating
Lucene makes sense.  Perhaps aspect-oriented programming could come
into play to separate the Lucene indexing concern from the DB updating
code?

Database triggers would be a good place to hook Lucene indexing if
different processes not under your control are updating data that needs
to be indexed.

	Erik