Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Adam Kocoloski <ad...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/12 04:54:26 UTC

ensuring an update_seq is used at most once

Currently a DB update_seq can be reused if there's a power failure before the header is sync'ed to disk.  This adds some extra complexity and overhead to the replicator, which must confirm before saving a checkpoint that the source update_seq it is recording will not be reused later.  It does this by issuing an ensure_full_commit call to the source DB, which may be a pretty expensive operation if the source has a constant write load.

Should we try to fix that?  One way to do so would be start at a significantly higher update_seq than the committed one whenever the DB is opened after an "unclean" shutdown; that is, one where the DB header is not the last term stored in the file.  Although, I suppose that's not an ironclad test for data loss -- it might be the case that none of the lost updates were written to the file.  I suppose we could "bump" the update_seq on every startup.

Adam

Re: ensuring an update_seq is used at most once

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
Yep.  Db#db.update_seq is not always the same as Db#db.committed_update_seq when delayed_commits are on.

Adam

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.