Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Marc Respass <ma...@iliosinc.com> on 2006/04/14 14:21:36 UTC

Compile for Mac OS X (10.4)?

Hi All,

I'm new to the list and new to log4cxx. I've been trying to compile
for Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.6 on Intel). I did a search and can't find
anything that helps. I can't even get past the configure script. I
got the latest release from Subversion and get the following error
when I run the configure script

checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.6.1
checking for APR... no
configure: error: APR could not be located. Please use the --with-apr
option.

It looks like I need APR and then I can tell configure where it is
but I don't know what APR is so I don't know how to get it. Can
anyone help?

Thanks a lot
Marc

Re: Compile for Mac OS X (10.4)?

Posted by Marc Respass <ma...@iliosinc.com>.
On Apr 14, 2006, at 8:54 AM, Andreas Fester wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Marc Respass wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm new to the list and new to log4cxx. I've been trying to
>> compile for
> Welcome :-)
>
>> Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.6 on Intel). I did a search and can't find
>> anything
>> that helps. I can't even get past the configure script. I got the
>> latest
>> release from Subversion and get the following error when I run the
>> configure script
>>
>> checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.6.1
>> checking for APR... no
>> configure: error: APR could not be located. Please use the --with-apr
>> option.
>>
>> It looks like I need APR and then I can tell configure where it is
>> but I
>> don't know what APR is so I don't know how to get it. Can anyone
>> help?
>
> APR is the Apache Portable Runtime (http://apr.apache.org/), a
> library which encapsulates OS-specific functions. The new log4cxx
> version is built on it. You need apr and apr-util, which can be
> downloaded from http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi.
>
> Just build both libraries and pass the build directories to
> the log4cxx configure script with the --with-apr and --with-apr-util
> parameters.
>
> I have not yet checked if the newest APR version 1.2.7 works
> with log4cxx, but minor versions are usually compatible,
> so it should.

Thanks Andreas. I needed apr and apr-util. Everything is compiled and
installed. Now to try out log4cxx and see if I can use it with my
Objective-C based app :)

Marc

Re: Compile for Mac OS X (10.4)?

Posted by Andreas Fester <af...@apache.org>.
Hi Marc,

Marc Respass wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to the list and new to log4cxx. I've been trying to compile for
Welcome :-)

> Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.6 on Intel). I did a search and can't find anything
> that helps. I can't even get past the configure script. I got the latest
> release from Subversion and get the following error when I run the
> configure script
>
> checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.6.1
> checking for APR... no
> configure: error: APR could not be located. Please use the --with-apr
> option.
>
> It looks like I need APR and then I can tell configure where it is but I
> don't know what APR is so I don't know how to get it. Can anyone help?

APR is the Apache Portable Runtime (http://apr.apache.org/), a
library which encapsulates OS-specific functions. The new log4cxx
version is built on it. You need apr and apr-util, which can be
downloaded from http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi.

Just build both libraries and pass the build directories to
the log4cxx configure script with the --with-apr and --with-apr-util
parameters.

I have not yet checked if the newest APR version 1.2.7 works
with log4cxx, but minor versions are usually compatible,
so it should.

Regards,

	Andreas