Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/27 16:50:45 UTC

[RELEASE]: refined AOO 4.1 beta schedule

Hi,

we are still verifying some fixes to identify the Beta as real beta,
means some branding elements, names etc. And we are working on some
serious bugfixes that we have identified already.

The current plan is to start the build tomorrow and do the upload over
the weekend. That means we should have a RC for AOO 4.1 beta available
at the beginning of next.

The new icons are still not complete and I am not sure how we can or
should continue here. Replacing them for the final release is probably
not a good idea.

Work remaining before beta

1) Defect verification

2) Release Notes
check, update and finalize the release notes [1]

3) Communications
Clarify the communication/promotion for the beta. For example how many
users do we want to reach with the beta.

4) Release vote

Based on this a possible schedule can be

March 4th: availability of AOO 41. Beta RC + start vote
March 10th: public availability of AOO 41. Beta (until March 31th)
...: additional snapshot builds based on the beta including showstopper
fixes
April 2th: availability of AOO 4.1 RC
April 7th: public availability of AOO 4.1

Any opinions or feedback
Juergen

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Notes

Re: [RELEASE]: refined AOO 4.1 beta schedule

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:
> IMHO don't implement new icons. If beta is not general public then increase RC-final duration.

One approach would be to have a "quiet" beta release, announced only
on dev, qa, users mailing lists and forum.    That will attract users
who are already somewhat familiar with the product.

Some users might see it as well on our download webpage, but it would
not be the default choice.

So we might get 1000-2000 users of the beta.

If we think we want more, then we can promote it via blog, social
network, website home page, etc.  This will get more users,
potentially 100,000 or more.  But that does not mean we get more good
quality bug reports in BZ.  It could be messy.

So it is a trade-off.  If we wanted we could start small and then
increase the publicity after a week.

-Rob

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/27/2014 04:50 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> we are still verifying some fixes to identify the Beta as real beta,
> means some branding elements, names etc. And we are working on some
> serious bugfixes that we have identified already.
>
> The current plan is to start the build tomorrow and do the upload over
> the weekend. That means we should have a RC for AOO 4.1 beta available
> at the beginning of next.
>
> The new icons are still not complete and I am not sure how we can or
> should continue here. Replacing them for the final release is probably
> not a good idea.
>
> Work remaining before beta
>
> 1) Defect verification
>
> 2) Release Notes
> check, update and finalize the release notes [1]
>
> 3) Communications
> Clarify the communication/promotion for the beta. For example how many
> users do we want to reach with the beta.
>
> 4) Release vote
>
> Based on this a possible schedule can be
>
> March 4th: availability of AOO 41. Beta RC + start vote
> March 10th: public availability of AOO 41. Beta (until March 31th)
> ...: additional snapshot builds based on the beta including showstopper
> fixes
> April 2th: availability of AOO 4.1 RC
> April 7th: public availability of AOO 4.1
>
> Any opinions or feedback

I'll try to make one day off to be available on March 10th the whole
day, so we can be flexible with announcements and publications.

Marcus

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
FYI: we start the build based on AOO410 branch revision 1572868

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 27 February 2014 16:58, Vladislav Stevanovic <
>> stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is it too late for update Serbian language?
>> > Wlada

>> just for my understanding, dont we need to vote on the beta as well as the
>> release. We send the beta out to general public, that would normally
>> require a vote (might be a fast one).
>>
>> rgds
>> jan I.
>>

> I think this is covered on actually, hopefully, releasing the beta on the
> 10th. In the past we've required a min of 72 hours for a vote, so this
> would be cutting things a bit close I guess...but not by much from previous
> scenarios.

> The RC requires an additional vote, right?

The process for a beta is the same as the process for any other kind
of release.  The "beta" label doesn't change the process.  The Release
Manager declares a Release Candidate, posts it to his
people.apache.org account and sends out a release ballot of at least
72-hours.   The PMC reviews the Release Candidate, paying special
attention to the legal and policy items, the NOTICE, LICENSE, etc.  If
there is a majority of at least three +1 votes then the RC is approved
and it is released as AOO 4.1 beta.

After the beta we'll need to do the same process again for the
ultimate 4.1 release, making a RC, voting, etc.

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 27 February 2014 16:58, Vladislav Stevanovic <
> stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it too late for update Serbian language?
> > Wlada

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > we are still verifying some fixes to identify the Beta as real beta,
> > > means some branding elements, names etc. And we are working on some
> > > serious bugfixes that we have identified already.
> > >
> > > The current plan is to start the build tomorrow and do the upload over
> > > the weekend. That means we should have a RC for AOO 4.1 beta available
> > > at the beginning of next.
> > >
> > > The new icons are still not complete and I am not sure how we can or
> > > should continue here. Replacing them for the final release is probably
> > > not a good idea.
> > >
> > > Work remaining before beta
> > >
> > > 1) Defect verification
> > >
> > > 2) Release Notes
> > > check, update and finalize the release notes [1]
> > >
> > > 3) Communications
> > > Clarify the communication/promotion for the beta. For example how many
> > > users do we want to reach with the beta.
> > >
> > > 4) Release vote
> > >
> > > Based on this a possible schedule can be
> > >
> > > March 4th: availability of AOO 41. Beta RC + start vote
> >

> just for my understanding, dont we need to vote on the beta as well as the
> release. We send the beta out to general public, that would normally
> require a vote (might be a fast one).
>
> rgds
> jan I.

I think this is covered on actually, hopefully, releasing the beta on the
10th. In the past we've required a min of 72 hours for a vote, so this
would be cutting things a bit close I guess...but not by much from previous
scenarios.

> > > March 10th: public availability of AOO 41. Beta (until March 31th)
> > > ...: additional snapshot builds based on the beta including showstopper
> > > fixes
> > > April 2th: availability of AOO 4.1 RC

The RC requires an additional vote, right?

> > > April 7th: public availability of AOO 4.1
> > >
> > > Any opinions or feedback
> > > Juergen
> > >

> > > [1]
> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Notes

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
 for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                       -- James Mason

Re: [RELEASE]: refined AOO 4.1 beta schedule

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 27 February 2014 17:18, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/27/14 5:11 PM, jan i wrote:

>> > just for my understanding, dont we need to vote on the beta as well as
>> the
>> > release. We send the beta out to general public, that would normally
>> > require a vote (might be a fast one).
>>
>> exactly, ---> availability of Beta RC + start vote ;-)
>>

> ?? you cannot make the beta available before the vote period for the beta
> ends.

Right.  That is what it says "availability Beta RC".  It is only the
Release Candidate that is available before the vote.   Before we can
release the beta we need to have a release vote on the beta RC.

-Rob

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 27/02/2014 jan i wrote:
> just for my understanding, dont we need to vote on the beta as well as the
> release. We send the beta out to general public, that would normally
> require a vote (might be a fast one).

Everything has already been clarified well, i.e.,
1) We vote on a thing that Juergen proposes to make available as
"OpenOffice 4.1 beta" -> We make the Beta available for download
2) We vote, a few weeks later, on a thing that Juergen proposes to make
available as "OpenOffice 4.1" -> We make 4.1 officially available for
download
but, for other people reading this list (I know you know), a "fast" vote
cannot be anything less than the usual 72-hours voting procedure, unless
we are so fast to gather feedback from everybody in less than 72 hours.
So the two votes are formally identical, even if the second one will
surely impact more users and will require that we consider stoppers more
carefully.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [RELEASE]: refined AOO 4.1 beta schedule

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/27/2014 10:05 PM, schrieb jan i:
> On 27 February 2014 21:59, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 02/27/2014 09:31 PM, schrieb info@raphaelbircher.ch:
>>
>>   Hi at all
>>>
>>> Zitat von jan i<ja...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>>   On 27 February 2014 16:58, Vladislav Stevanovic<

>>> I wouldn't make a beta as a RC. After a Beta you have normaly several
>>> showstopers to fix. I recall, RC = Release Candidate wich means, that we
>>> assume the build is ready for release. Beta... wait two or tree weeks
>>> fix showstoppers, and then a RC. And the important tests are not the one
>>> in the RC, the important tests are at the build befor RC. Else we make
>>> the same mess as in the 4.0.0.
>>>

>> RC means (at least for me) that you are done with that what you planned
>> for the coming release. At the moment we can nearly ready for the Beta
>> Release. So making a RC to get it out.
>>
>> Later in the calendar we do another RC when we think 4.1.0 is ready for
>> public use as final release.
>>
>> You can name different release builds as RC - depending on what you want
>> to archive with them - which is more or less only internally relevant. I
>> think this is what Juergen wanted to express.
>>

> the names are less important to me than the votes. Juergens schedule
> suggested only 1 vote, but it seems I am not the only one who expect (at
> least) 2 votes (one for Beta and one for GA).
>
> I agree with Rob, that the word "release" is confusing, and the term "GA"
> more precise for our purpose.

sure, this is also a solution. Maybe indeed the better one. ;-)

Marcus

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/27/2014 09:31 PM, schrieb info@raphaelbircher.ch:
> Hi at all
>
> Zitat von jan i <ja...@apache.org>:
>
>> On 27 February 2014 16:58, Vladislav Stevanovic <
>> stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it too late for update Serbian language?
>>> Wlada

>> just for my understanding, dont we need to vote on the beta as well as
>> the
>> release. We send the beta out to general public, that would normally
>> require a vote (might be a fast one).
>
> I wouldn't make a beta as a RC. After a Beta you have normaly several
> showstopers to fix. I recall, RC = Release Candidate wich means, that we
> assume the build is ready for release. Beta... wait two or tree weeks
> fix showstoppers, and then a RC. And the important tests are not the one
> in the RC, the important tests are at the build befor RC. Else we make
> the same mess as in the 4.0.0.

RC means (at least for me) that you are done with that what you planned
for the coming release. At the moment we can nearly ready for the Beta
Release. So making a RC to get it out.

Later in the calendar we do another RC when we think 4.1.0 is ready for
public use as final release.

You can name different release builds as RC - depending on what you want
to archive with them - which is more or less only internally relevant. I
think this is what Juergen wanted to express.

Marcus

>>> showstopper

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Notes

Re: [RELEASE]: refined AOO 4.1 beta schedule

Posted by in...@raphaelbircher.ch.
Hi Rob

Zitat von Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM,  <in...@raphaelbircher.ch> wrote:
>> Hi at all
>>
>> Zitat von jan i <ja...@apache.org>:

>>> just for my understanding, dont we need to vote on the beta as well as the
>>> release. We send the beta out to general public, that would normally
>>> require a vote (might be a fast one).
>>

>> I wouldn't make a beta as a RC. After a Beta you have normaly several
>> showstopers to fix. I recall, RC = Release Candidate wich means, that we
>> assume the build is ready for release. Beta... wait two or tree weeks fix
>> showstoppers, and then a RC. And the important tests are not the one in the
>> RC, the important tests are at the build befor RC. Else we make the same
>> mess as in the 4.0.0.
>>

> It is an Release Candidate because a beta is a Release.  When we vote
> on the RC we agree it is ready for release as a beta.  After that
> we'll fix more bugs and have another RC and vote for that to be
> released as 4.1.
>
> I think the confusion is that we use the word "release" into two ways:
>
> 1) The Apache definition of a release == something that a PMC votes on
> and approves for publication and public consumption
>
> 2) Release as the final version of a product cycle
>
> One way to avoid confusion is to use "GA" for the 2nd meaning (GA=
> General Availability).  If we do that then it is clear:
>
> 1) We have a RC for the Beta and then we release the beta
>
> 2) Some weeks later, after fixing more bugs we have an RC for the GA
> and then we release the GA

Oh yes, I missunderstud Jürgens answare. I forgot that we have to make
a RC for the Beta too.

Greetings Raphael

Re: [RELEASE]: refined AOO 4.1 beta schedule

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 2/27/14 4:58 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic wrote:
> Is it too late for update Serbian language?

I have merged the latest translation updates including "sr" on Monday.
The last changes for "sr" were from Feb. 21th. We should be save here :-)

But we can discuss a selective update on demand during the beta phase
and for the final release. Especially for the 6 languages where only
2000-5800 words are missing to complete the UI translation.

Juergen

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.