Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@tigris.org on 2009/03/31 21:34:48 UTC

Accidently deleted items Please help me undo

I just accidently did

svn rm Folder

but did not want to remove Folder from the repository.  I haven't yet committed.  Is there anyway to undo this action?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: Accidently deleted items Please help me undo

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 31, 2009, at 17:09, David Weintraub wrote:

> Did you do this in your repository or your working directory? There is
> a big difference.
>
> If you did it in your working directory, you should be able to do:
>
> svn revert -r Folder
>
> The "-r" will do it recursively. Not 100% sure if it is needed, but
> doesn't hurt. See:
>
>     $ svn revert --help
>
> for more details.

"-r" is for specifying a revision. The recursive option is "-R".

Re: Accidently deleted items Please help me undo

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM,  <we...@tigris.org> wrote:
> I just accidently did
>
> svn rm Folder
>
> but did not want to remove Folder from the repository.  I haven't yet committed.  Is there anyway to undo this action?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Accidently deleted items Please help me undo

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
As you've already noticed, the files you've deleted via "svn delete"
have been deleted from the working copy itself which is the only place
where your non-committed changes were located. There is no way to
undelete the deleted files (although a version control system with
undo capabilities would be rather intriguing.)

It may be possible to go through the .svn directories, unmark the
files as deleted, and then move the copies from your trash back to the
working directory, but it really doesn't do much more than doing a
revert and moving your files from the Trash back to the working
directory.

One of the advantages with distributed file systems like Git is that
it allows you to "version" your work without having to save it back to
the repository. When I've used Git, I'll continuously save my changes
back to my private repository, then at the end of the day, commit my
changes back to the public repository.

Of course, the ability of Git to do just this causes another problem:
Getting developers to actually commit their changes to the public
repository on a regular basis. I've had a lot of problems -- not with
Git -- but with other distributed revision control systems and with
ClearCase UCM on this very issue. Many developers like it when you can
live in your own little world and don't have to interact with other
people. Video games and distributed version control makes it very easy
for many developers to fall into that very trap.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:04 PM,  <we...@tigris.org> wrote:
>> svn revert
>> ?
>
> No, the problem with that is that I lose all the local changes I made.  I had changed several files inside the folder before I accidentally deleted it before I committed it.
>
> I do have copies of the files (they were sent to the Trash).  I guess the easiest way is to revert and then replace the modified files that are in my Trash.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy
>

>>  --
>> You design it, I'll build it
>> e-mail: michael.l.brown@philips.com
>> desk: 608-288-6969

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Accidently deleted items Please help me undo

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 31, 2009, at 17:04, webpost@tigris.org wrote:

>> svn revert
>> ?
>
> No, the problem with that is that I lose all the local changes I
> made.  I had changed several files inside the folder before I
> accidently deleted it before I committed it.
>
> I do have copies of the files (they were sent to the Trash).  I
> guess the easiest way is to revert and then replace the modified
> files that are in my Trash.

I'm surprised Subversion allowed "svn rm" to occur on a directory
with local modifications. On my system (Subversion 1.6.0 on Mac OS X
10.4.11) it shows a clear warning. If I have modified a file in the
directory I'm trying to delete:

$ svn rm somedirectory
svn: Use --force to override this restriction
svn: 'somedirectory/existingfile' has local modifications
$

If I have an unversioned file in the directory I'm trying to delete:

$ svn rm somedirectory
svn: Use --force to override this restriction
svn: 'somedirectory/newfile' is not under version control
$

Did you see this message and then use --force?

I also cannot believe that Subversion would send any files to the
Trash can, since that's a GUI concept and the Subversion libraries
don't know about your GUI.

Are you using the svn command line client or something else? (if
something else, what?)

RE: Accidently deleted items Please help me undo

Posted by we...@tigris.org.
> svn revert
> ?

No, the problem with that is that I lose all the local changes I made.  I had changed several files inside the folder before I accidently deleted it before I committed it.

Posted by "Brown, Michael" <mi...@philips.com>.
svn revert
?