Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com> on 2009/02/25 09:26:44 UTC

GSoC ideas for 09

Hi Everyone!

A year ago I bugged dashorst about why Wicket didn't participate in the
08 GSoC.. This year I've been brainstorming on ideas and want to see
what others think could be useful projects for Wicket.

Thanks

./Christopher

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Sergio García <sg...@denodo.com>.
Better tree component maybe?

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
You've got 86 unresolved enhancements and 32 feature requests on
issues.apache.org. The leaders might want to umbrella a couple of
related ones and have them coded on GSoC. Also, there might be a
couple of orphaned projects on wicketstuff and elsewhere that could
get into the main distribution. wicket-auth-roles appears lower
quality than the rest of wicket.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:26 AM, "C. Bergström"
<cb...@netsyncro.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> A year ago I bugged dashorst about why Wicket didn't participate in the 08
> GSoC.. This year I've been brainstorming on ideas and want to see what
> others think could be useful projects for Wicket.
>
> Thanks
>
> ./Christopher

Marcelo Morales

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.
I did some reading and found that a "mentoring organization" for the GSoC is
considered "A group running an active free/open source software project".
That seems to imply a core committer would need to be involved. See:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_org_is_47611255748869674_1

The idea of Wicket participating in GSoC interests me. I work at Georgia
Tech Research Institute, which is a professional research arm of Georgia
Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). We are located on the edge of the
Georgia Tech campus in Atlanta, Georgia. We have about 10 co-op students
from Georgia Tech working for us each semester. We use all open source
software. We have just started using Wicket, Spring, and Brix (CMS based on
Wicket and Jackrabbit) on a new project that I'm driving. I have two co-op
students helping me out right now. We have existing web applications that
use JEE, Struts, YUI, and Ext JS, which we deploy to Tomcat on Red Hat
Linux. We plan to migrate those existing applications to Wicket over the
next couple of years. Also, we are hiring:
http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=78669508

Considering our position, I'm wondering if we could be involved in this
somehow. Especially if it benefited us, it might be an easy sell to get some
of our engineers/scientists involved.

-Richard

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.
Here is some info: http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html

I'll be happy to contribute my time also. The only catch is that I wouldn't
be considered a Wicket expert. I've only read Wicket in Action and I'm three
months into a professional application based on Wicket. However, I am a
seasoned Java and JEE developer. And I've co-authored two college text books
on the subject:
http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/9780763754891/
http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/9780763734237/

-Richard

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Jeroen Steenbeeke <j....@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Martijn

Thanks Martijn.. You've shown me what a good catalyst and community
leader you finally are.. It's not about my bidding.. I push for gsoc..
my points are valid.. others have brought up other good points.. and yet
when I push in general you make it personal. :) What's more is if you
were to even spend a short while and read or understand the gsoc process
you'd realize it's not something where you just fork and try to get it
sponsored..

http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/notes-on-organization-selection-criteria

I'd happily have mentored, but wasn't sure how the core devs felt about
that.. (guess my question is answered)

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Andreas Petersson <an...@petersson.at>.
> - tool to migrate JSF apps to Wicket (heh heh)
+1 for that. this would be the killer argument to finally start
transitioning to wicket.

it does not need to be a 100% converter of all jsf+backing beans - a
two-way method for sharing panels/components would enable better
transition to wicket.
just a quick half-baked idea how this may look:
using wicket in jsf
<w:panel clazz="com.example.SomeWebPage"
pageParameters="#{BackingBean.pageParams}"
xPath="/html/body/div[2]/div[2]"/>
and the other way round from jsf into wicket:
XPathExpression xPath = xpath.compile("/html/body/div[2]/div[2]");
add(new JsfPanel("jsfPanel","WEB-INF/somepage.jsp", xPath));

of course this means the whole page is rendered although only a part of
the markup is needed. would be sufficient for my usecase.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Peter Thomas <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 286 Portlet support has already been finished.
>
> Cheers,
> Tony.

Great!  I had no idea, can you provide a link to read up about it, even a
JIRA would be fine.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Peter Thomas <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:26 AM, "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> A year ago I bugged dashorst about why Wicket didn't participate in the 08
> GSoC.. This year I've been brainstorming on ideas and want to see what
> others think could be useful projects for Wicket.

A few ideas:

- proper comet support
- a comprehensive admin / debug console (jmx, view session size, page maps,
html validator etc)
- portlet support (JSR 286)
- tool to migrate JSF apps to Wicket (heh heh)
- better IDE plugin

[Peter]

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Johan Edstrom <jo...@opennms.org>.
Having done Gsoc for 2008 (Unrelated OSS project)  I'd suggest
extremely well defined projects, extremely clear project management and
quite a few introductions for tasks expected, not to mention multiple
mentors (For picking up slack) defined targets and monitoring as if
this was a VC set of money you sat on and expected output from.

/je

On Feb 25, 2009, at 1:26 AM, C. Bergström wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> A year ago I bugged dashorst about why Wicket didn't participate in
> the 08 GSoC.. This year I've been brainstorming on ideas and want to
> see what others think could be useful projects for Wicket.
>
> Thanks
>
> ./Christopher

Johan Edstrom

joed@opennms.org

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Johan Edstrom <jo...@opennms.org>.

Re: GSoC ideas for 09

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.

<cb...@netsyncro.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> A year ago I bugged dashorst about why Wicket didn't participate in the 08
> GSoC.. This year I've been brainstorming on ideas and want to see what
> others think could be useful projects for Wicket.
>
> Thanks
>
> ./Christopher

Marcelo Morales