Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/16 15:45:06 UTC

Graduating UIMA

Hi,

Apache UIMA has been incubating for quite a while now, and I was
wondering about your plans for graduating.

The last UIMA board reports I've seen have listed the need for more
committers as an issue before graduation. But looking at the dev@ list
and Jira I see a lot of active contributors and submitted patches, so
I'm not sure what the issue is. What's your policy for adding new
committers?

A typical Apache project is happy to hand out committership once a
contributor has been around for a while and submitted a few good
patches. It doesn't seem like UIMA would have any particular problems
finding new committers like this.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Graduating UIMA

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apache UIMA has been incubating for quite a while now, and I was
> wondering about your plans for graduating.
>
> The last UIMA board reports I've seen have listed the need for more
> committers as an issue before graduation. But looking at the dev@ list
> and Jira I see a lot of active contributors and submitted patches, so
> I'm not sure what the issue is.
Our main issue is one of wanting to bring in *diverse* committers - ones
who work for different companies.  We are getting a lot of contributions
- but most are from one company - so we're worrying about "overloading"
with committers from one company.
> What's your policy for adding new
> committers?

We try to follow the normal Apache policy.  Except for possibly worrying
unnecessarily (?) about diversity, you're right -- I agree we should be
considering some additional committerships.

-Marshall