Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/11 12:06:12 UTC

Are we on Java 6?

Code police are back with a question: are we officially requiring Java
6 yet? I thought we had since Hadoop needs it but just checking.

A couple items I saw in the code...

- I think we should always use @Override where possible. In Java 6 it
can be used when implementing interface methods too. It's easy to
forget, but easy to add with the IDE over here, so I can take care of
it.

- If using a type with generic parameters, I think we should always
specify the generic type, even if it's <?>

- When an abstract class implements an interface, it does not have to
implement all the interface methods since it is abstract. So filling
in the abstract class with abstract methods that merely match the
remaining interface methods is redundant.

Re: Are we on Java 6?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I think you can go ahead.   I'm in quiet mode through the holidays.

-Grant

On Dec 23, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> So I have another large changelist ready to commit that adds @Override
> and generally does another big round of tweaks (of the sort I think
> everyone would be OK with.) Should I post this massive patch for good
> measure?
>
> Also, does anyone have a change coming up? I could wait, handle the
> merge myself, before committing, rather than make anyone else deal
> with it.
>
> Sean
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Grant Ingersoll
> <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Yes, we are officially requiring J6.
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2008, at 6:06 AM, Sean Owen wrote:
>>
>>> Code police are back with a question: are we officially requiring
>>> Java
>>> 6 yet? I thought we had since Hadoop needs it but just checking.
>>>
>>> A couple items I saw in the code...
>>>
>>> - I think we should always use @Override where possible. In Java 6
>>> it
>>> can be used when implementing interface methods too. It's easy to
>>> forget, but easy to add with the IDE over here, so I can take care
>>> of
>>> it.
>>>
>>> - If using a type with generic parameters, I think we should always
>>> specify the generic type, even if it's <?>
>>>
>>> - When an abstract class implements an interface, it does not have
>>> implement all the interface methods since it is abstract. So filling
>>> in the abstract class with abstract methods that merely match the
>>> remaining interface methods is redundant.

Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: Are we on Java 6?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.