Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by "Kirkham, George" <Op...@goproject.info> on 2020/04/05 22:29:56 UTC

General questions about DMZ, https, apache web server, single Interent IP address

​Hi,

Background

	* Reading about Jitsi and BigBlueButton, it seems the underlying
software they the use required "direct connection to the internet" and
exclusive use of port 443.
	* While my infrastructure has a single external IP address, Router
that changes Internet facing IP address to internal IP address, DMZ
via NAT firewall which handles UPD, changing IP address to yet another
IP address. This is a common configuration for small business.

	* I also have an Apache Web server which uses both port 80 and port
433. I believe while you can redirect port 80 traffic to another
server, because port 443 traffic is encrypted, it cannot be
redirected. The above two systems do not use Apache, but do want to
have use of port 443.

	* Reading documentation for Openmeetings which pointed to Kurento
Media Server documetation: "If Kurento Media Server, its Application
Server, or any of the clients are located behind a NAT, you need to
use a STUN or a TURN server in order to achieve NAT traversal."

Questions

Is there any Video Conferencing systems that can work from inside a
NAT DMZ ?  Note: I used to use OpenMeeting 2.0 quite effectively
inside a NAT DMZ, and because it did not require the use of  port
443, it ran nicely in our environment.

Would OpenMeetings work in Debian 10 (Buster) environment, it did work
in Debian Squeeze, but a lot of underlying software has been updated
since that time?

Does OpenMeetings work in a single Docker container?   (not that I
use Docker). I have seen some implementations of the above to systems
where part of the system is in side Docker but not the WebRTC
component.

Any useful thoughts on the above ?

Regards,

George.

Re: General questions about DMZ, https, apache web server, single Interent IP address

Posted by YUP <yu...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I would like to confirm that it is (still) impossible to use only
one tcp port for OM.  You should also have UDP ports open in your
firewall, it is a requirement :(

I even tried to use udptunnel which can operate on tcp port to handle
upd flow, but my attempt was unsuccessful too.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello George,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: General questions about DMZ, https, apache web server, single Interent IP address

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
No problem then :)
You can set up both OM<->world and OM<->Apache<->world (latter
configuration will use more "natural" 443 port + TURN ports only)

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: General questions about DMZ, https, apache web server, single Interent IP address

Posted by "Kirkham, George" <Op...@goproject.info>.
Hi,

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 02:31, Zenon Panoussis  wrote:

> I believe while you can redirect port 80 traffic to another
> server, because port 443 traffic is encrypted, it cannot be
> redirected.

It can, as long as it is done transparently. If you have, say,
serviceA on internalhostA:443 and serviceB on internalhostB:443,
you can tell the router something like

incoming on port 2443 -> hostA:443
incoming on port 3443 -> hostB:443

If the router is running linux, the above is very simple:

iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i wan0 -p tcp --dport 2443 -j DNAT --to
192.168.1.10:443 [1]
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i wan0 -p tcp --dport 3443 -j DNAT --to
192.168.1.20:443 [2]
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT

Cheers,

Best regards,
Maxim

Links:
------
[1] http://192.168.1.10:443
[2] http://192.168.1.20:443

Re: General questions about DMZ, https, apache web server, single Interent IP address

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
The problem here: TURN required UDP in range: 40000-60000 and it seems to
be impossible to pass all these connections via 443

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 02:31, Zenon Panoussis <or...@provocation.net> wrote:

> > I believe while you can redirect port 80 traffic to another
> > server, because port 443 traffic is encrypted, it cannot be
> > redirected.
>
> It can, as long as it is done transparently. If you have, say,
> serviceA on internalhostA:443 and serviceB on internalhostB:443,
> you can tell the router something like
>
> incoming on port 2443 -> hostA:443
> incoming on port 3443 -> hostB:443
>
> If the router is running linux, the above is very simple:
>
> iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i wan0 -p tcp --dport 2443 -j DNAT --to
> 192.168.1.10:443
> iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i wan0 -p tcp --dport 3443 -j DNAT --to
> 192.168.1.20:443
> iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
>
> Cheers,

Best regards,
Maxim

Re: General questions about DMZ, https, apache web server, single Interent IP address

Posted by Zenon Panoussis <or...@provocation.net>.