Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian Duke <bp...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/30 01:24:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Trouble with mod_deflate

I am having trouble getting mod_deflate to work on a windows installation.
I'm using Apache 2.0.53 on a Windows 2003 server. In order to rule out other
configuration options, I have re-installed Apache with just the default
config file and changed nothing except to add this for mod_deflate. I
examined the access log and also looked at the byte stream with Ethereal and
the data is not compressed. Does anyone have any advice for using
mod_deflate on a Windows machine?

LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

<Location />
     # Insert filter
     SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

     # Netscape 4.x has some problems...
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

     # Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

     # MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
     BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

     # Don't compress images
     SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI .(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

</Location>
Thanks,
Brian