Posted to general@db.apache.org by Kristian Waagan <kr...@apache.org> on 2012/09/18 08:36:41 UTC

Evaluating the ASF CMS for the DB site

Hi all,

As you may already know, every project has been asked to either switch
to the Apache CMS [1] or to start using svnpubsub for publishing web
sites. Personally I'd like to see the DB site move to CMS. While the DB
site doesn't change much, it would allow people to quickly make edits
directly through their browsers. There will be no need to download tools
of any kind, and the system will be supported by the ASF infra team.

To be able to evaluate the CMS, I've taken the steps necessary to have
DB set up with a staging repository. I have also converted most of the
existing DB site to the CMS. While some pages are still missing, there
is enough content to give you a feel of what the converted site will
look like.

To see the current staging site, go to [2]. By installing the CMS
bookmarklet [3] you can click it when you see something you want to fix,
and you'll be taken to the CMS where you can edit the page.
You can also go to [4] to create your own working copy of the content
and start improving it.
There's a sitemap at [5].

Don't be shy, feel free to fix a typo just to get the hang of the CMS :)
You need to be a committer to access the CMS.

When someone modifies the site a commit message will be sent to this list.

As usual it will take a little effort to learn a new system. Feel free
to ask questions if something is unclear.

Kristian

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/cms#usage , see the additional links as well
[2] http://db.staging.apache.org/index.html
[3] https://cms.apache.org/#bookmark