Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/02 19:10:59 UTC

remove Acronyms plugin?

Hi Team, with our recent upgrade to HTML 5, the AcronymsPlugin created
by Jaap van der Molen in 2004 is obsolete, as acronym tags are not
supported in HTML5 (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_acronym.asp).  The
HTML 5 equivalent, <abbr/> is quite nice
(http://camendesign.com/code/using-abbr), and it would be trivial to
convert the AcronymsPlugin to it, but I'm not sure enough % of people
would use this plugin to warrant maintaining it.  For people who care
about adding abbr tags to their text, they are hard to automate because
sometimes you want the abbreviation and sometimes you don't, the
abbreviation value changes depending on context, etc., and this plugin
does a one-size-fits-all.

 From the blog article linked above, the purpose of the <abbr/> tag is
to provide alternative spoken text in cases where the written is
different from how you would speak it.  Examples given:  i.e. --> in
other words; vs. --> versus; CSS --> style sheet, != --> does not equal.

This is how an <abbr/> tag looks:

|<abbr title="style sheet">CSS</abbr>

Which makes it of comparable complexity to an anchor tag:

I'm inclined to remove this plugin, but will happily accept its
restoration as an AbbrPlugin if someone in the community supplies a
patch for it (indicating that at least someone is using it.)  Since
we've never had a demand for an AnchorPlugin for anchor tags which are
far more prolific and therefore much more of a time-saver than an
AbbrPlugin would be, I think it would follow that we don't need an
AbbrPlugin either.  WDYT?

Regards,
Glen