Posted to builds@apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/27 12:48:58 UTC

[Hudson] What executors are available for general use?

Sometimes it seems to take ages to get a job run on Hudson, right now
there are 35 jobs queue up waiting to run but the available executors
is showing a lot of idle ones. Why can't those idle ones be used, are
those idle ones usable or not or only for special things?

The current idle ones are:

Build Executor Status

freebsd1
1	Idle
2	Idle
hadoop1
1	Idle
hadoop2
1	Idle
hadoop3
1	Idle
hadoop4
1	Idle
hadoop5
1	Idle
hadoop6
1	Idle
hadoop7
1	Idle
hadoop8
1	Idle
hadoop9
1	Idle
osx1
1	Idle
2	Idle
solaris2
1	Idle
2	Idle
windows1
1	Idle
2	Idle

   ...ant

Re: [Hudson] What executors are available for general use?

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Out of interest, how does a project go about getting its own private
> slave like Hadoop and Lucene have? Presumably it requires funding or
> someone donating some machine or resources? If i could find someone
> willing to do that for Tuscany could we get our own Hudson slave?

They were added before I was active on Hudson, so I don't know the
full history. But yes, as long the project can provide a server on
which we can run a Hudson slave, I don't see any problem with adding
it to Hudson. Other Hudson admins might disagree.

Of course, I would much rather see slaves being added for general
purpose since, as you noticed, the dedicated slaves mostly sits idle.

/niklas

Re: [Hudson] What executors are available for general use?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Niklas Gustavsson
<ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why can't those idle ones be used, are
>> those idle ones usable or not or only for special things?
>
> The Hadoop and Lucene slaves are for those projects only. solaris2
> should be for all jobs, I've changed the configuration for that. As
> for freebsd1, osx1 and windows1 they are a bit special and I'm not
> sure if all builds would work unmodified on them. That's why we
> currently only run tied jobs on those slaves. That said, jobs which
> believe they will run on any of these slaves can tie their jobs to
> multiple platforms, e.g. ubuntu||solaris||freebsd .
>
> /niklas

Ok thanks for the info.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.