Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com> on 2006/06/06 14:32:06 UTC

Directory security for "/branches" and "/tags"

I'm trying to devise a security scheme for my repository and have hit
a snag. I'm trying to limit the ability to create both branches and
tags to a single "release manager". It's easy enough to make the /
branches and /tags directories only writable by a particular user,
however, I'd also like to give my developers the ability to patch
existing branches when a minor release is made on a previous branch.
The only way I can think to do this, is to give only my release
manager write access to "branches" and then each time a branch is
created, explicitly give my developers write access to that branch
directory. This allows them to edit existing branches but not create
new ones. It seems a little difficult to maintain though and I was
wondering if anyone else came up with a creative strategy for
implementing this policy.

Thanks,
Bradley