Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com> on 2009/05/11 22:32:43 UTC

Data model question: shipment_route_segment -> vehicle link

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the ofbiz data model.

There is a relationship "shipped_using" between shipment_route_segment
and fixed_asset ( vehicle ) in "The Book".

However in the ofbiz data model there isn't any vehicle relationship
between from either shipment_route_segment or
shipment_package_route_segment.

My question is: what is the rationale ? Is that a miss or a hit ? :)
A bug or a feature ?

Thanks in advance,
Deyan

Re: Data model question: shipment_route_segment -> vehicle link

Posted by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com>.
P.S.
I'm sorry , forgot to include the details ...

"The book" - pages 178 - 181 ( Shipment Routing and Shipment Vehicle ).

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thanks for your interest and persistence on this Deyan.

Please consider that not every business concept has been modeled and
implemented in OFBiz and that as time goes on and more and more
organizations use OFBiz for more and more requirements there is more
and more implemented in the project.

If this is something you're building and you want to collaborate with
the community to get it refined and into the project you've started
out exactly how you should!

It's a great first step to do a sort of "gap analysis" between what
you need and what is already in the project. Based on that it sounds
like you have identified a gap so the next step is to design something
to fill that gap (and it looks like what you've written has already
started that).

As for how to model it, I agree we need some sort of relationship
between ShipmentRouteSegment and FixedAsset, and this could be a one-
to-many relationship between a ShipmentRouteSegment and a vehicle
FixedAsset. However, in order to meet more general needs we may want
to allow for modeling of multiple vehicles for a specific route
segment of a shipment. This may not be an issue in the organization
you are working for, but in some cases a single large shipment that
does all move together will be split across multiple vehicles (could
be a convoy of trucks, or could be rail cars... and for rail cars they
all move together but chances are you'll want to track each car as a
separate vehicle asset).

Anyway, it's great to have you involved with this and I hope to see
more from you in the near future.

-David

Posted by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

--
BJ Freeman
http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation

Re: Data model question: shipment_route_segment -> vehicle link

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
as a side note the book says the reason for a vehicle entity it to track
in its location. Since an asset also needs to be tracked for it location
that is why ofbiz uses the asset.
few months ago some added entities were connected to the assets for give
 lon/lat so the tracking is also done thru the asset entity.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 5/11/2009 3:29 PM: