Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/12/19 04:03:46 UTC

New README for RC5

Hi,

I've just checked in a new version of the README file containing information on using different locales and Flash Player versions. Before I make another release candidate I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: New README for RC5

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Another quick note -- I don't think we need to list the other versions of
the playerglobal SWCs separately in *6 under the prerequisites, if we list
them out under the flash player version support section.  No need to make
it longer than it needs to be.

-Nick

Re: New README for RC5

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: New README for RC5

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I'm reviewing the README now.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: New README for RC5

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

All suggested changes done and checked in.

> 6) For me, the formatting around the mention of "osmf.swc" looks incorrect
> to me.  I am using TextEdit on Mac.  Maybe the next line "frameworks/libs"
> shouldn't be there?

May of been a space/tab issue to be on the safe side I converted all tabs to 4 spaces.

Justin

Re: New README for RC5

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggested changes/feedback.

> 2) You may want to list the predicted flex.apache.org URLs alongside the
> URLs for getting the installer and the downloads page.
Think that might be a bit cumbersome as it's in several places, also SVN link etc, perhaps have a bit about graduating and the URL change somewhere towards the top?

> 8) I'm tempted to add some language around how the version used to compile
> the SDK doesn't affect the version used/required by the application.
Indirectly it does by setting the minimum FP version you can use with the SDK that Flash Builder uses. (read from flex-config.xml)

Justin

Re: New README for RC5

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Justin,

A few comments about the README.

1) I don't think we can say this:

    The application will grab the official, current release of
    the SDK from apache.org...

Binary distributions are not official releases, so I think we have to say
something like:

    The application will grab a pre-compiled build of the SDK...

or:

    The application will grab the binary distribution of the SDK...

And you might want to add:

    from apache.org or one of its mirrors.

2) You may want to list the predicted flex.apache.org URLs alongside the
URLs for getting the installer and the downloads page.

3) I'm not completely comfortable with saying that Flex "is compatible with
AIR 3.1 through 3.5" and then in the next sentence saying that it hasn't
been tested on some of those versions.  Maybe it is better to say that "Flex
should be compatible with other versions of AIR newer than 3.1"?

4) For the Flashplayer, instead of saying "there may be some issues", maybe
say: "It has been compiled against other player version but has not been
fully tested".

5) There is a typo "ealier" should be "earlier".

6) For me, the formatting around the mention of "osmf.swc" looks incorrect
to me.  I am using TextEdit on Mac.  Maybe the next line "frameworks/libs"
shouldn't be there?

7) List the flex.apache.org URL at the end of the README as well?

8) I'm tempted to add some language around how the version used to compile
the SDK doesn't affect the version used/required by the application.
Thoughts on that?  Otherwise, I'm concerned that all of this information in
the README about versions will scare away the vast majority that will be
using the SDK Installer to install the Binary distro.

Thanks for taking on the RM job,

-Alex

--
Alex Harui