Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/22 01:17:08 UTC

Artemis backup configuration and sending messages to backup server

If I configure artemis in a cluster where there is only 1 live server and a
few backup server, do the clients explicitly have to know the live server's
IP address to interact or can the clients interact even with the backup
servers and artemis would forward it to the live appropriately?

Re: Artemis backup configuration and sending messages to backup server

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
A backup server is inactive from a client's perspective so if a client
attempted to connect to a backup they would receive an error.  The client
needs to connect to the live.

That said, the client can use discovery via UDP multicast (described in the
documentation) so that it doesn't need to know the specific IP address or
hostname of the live server or the client can have a static list of the
addresses of all the servers and each will be tried until a successful
connection is made.

Justin