Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by William Katsak <wk...@cs.rutgers.edu> on 2014/10/08 18:27:26 UTC

Consistency Levels

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone (Datastax?) has any usage data about
consistency levels. For example, what consistency levels are real
applications using in real production scenarios. Who is using eventual
consistency (ONE-ONE) in production vs strong consistency
(QUORUM-QUORUM, ONE-ALL). Obviously it depends on the application, but I
am trying to collect some information on this.

I saw the talk from Christos Kalantzis (from Cassandra13 I think) about
Netflix using eventual consistency, but I was wondering if there is any
more data out there.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Katask
Ph.D. Student
Department of Computer Science
Rutgers University

Re: Consistency Levels

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.
One should be carefull about using ALL consistency because by doing so, you
sacrify the high availability (loosing one node of the replica prevent you
from writing/reading with ALL). Lots of people choose Cassandra for high
availability so using ALL is kind of showstopper.

 Of course there are specific cases where such level can be relevant but
generally I advise people to use the couple QUORUM/QUORUM rather than
ONE/ALL or ALL/ONE if they want stronger consistency than ONE/ONE. The
latter combination is used for low latency when immediate consistency is
not a requirement. Users rely on all the anti-entropy processses
(read-repair, consistent read, scheduled repair) to make data converge.

Re: Consistency Levels

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
It would certainly depend on the nuances of your definitions! Especially
since you added this monster of a caveat: " in the absence of failures".

Here's a scenario for you: 1) Write at quorum, 2) Add 3 nodes, 3)
Immediately read at [the new] quorum - no guarantee that the new nodes will
have fully bootstrapped.

Who knows how many other modalities there might be - despite however many
caveats you want to tack on.

"Strong consistency" is a "model", not necessarily a reality at any point in
time even if it was a reality at a prior point in time.

If I deliberately "decommission" a node, that isn't necessarily a "failure"
is it?

All of that said, "it depends" on where you're trying to get to.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by William Katsak <wk...@cs.rutgers.edu>.
Thanks.

Re: Consistency Levels

Re: Consistency Levels

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM, William Katsak <wk...@cs.rutgers.edu>
wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone (Datastax?) has any usage data about consistency
> levels. For example, what consistency levels are real applications using in
> real production scenarios. Who is using eventual consistency (ONE-ONE) in
> production vs strong consistency (QUORUM-QUORUM, ONE-ALL). Obviously it
> depends on the application, but I am trying to collect some information on
> this.

Anecdotally, my sense of the typical deploy is that it is RF=N=3, with
CL.ONE.

=Rob