Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/07/29 01:05:50 UTC

Killer Reason (was RE: Avalon - moving away from ?)

> Do others have their own killer reasons right now?

I've got some killer reasons to get into some restructuring once James
is on svn.  For example - breaking out James subsystems into discrete
units enabling:

  * better management of unit tests
  * improved separation of api and implementation
  * simplifying build procedures
  * separating application from containment concerns
  * simplifying the codebase and making James more accessible

But these things are all just plain good things to do irrespective of
the approach concerning component management.  In practice the Avalon
equation is much more than a 19k api defining a container/component
contract - its also about sub-systems, utilities, and delivery platform.
In effect I think that there is a lot of benefit to be gained from
reducing these dependencies but I figure that this is much more a
question of structure and clear separations within the existing
codebase.

Cheers, Steve.