Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Kamal Ahmed <KA...@webMethods.com> on 2006/02/01 16:33:49 UTC

unit test decide(LoggingEvent inEvent)

Hi,
Could you please give me some CLUE, on how to proceed to test the following
method:
    public int decide(LoggingEvent inEvent) {

            boolean retCode = false;

            if (inEvent != null) {

                Matcher matcher =
targetPattern.matcher(inEvent.getLoggerName());

                retCode = (matcher.find() == acceptMatch);

            }

            return (retCode) ? Filter.NEUTRAL : Filter.DENY;

        }

Now i need to write a junit test for this, but I am not sure WHERE to start?

1. Should i create a NEW instance of the class this method belongs to?

2. How do i get an "inEvent" of type LoggingEvent?

3. So this is how i have started writing test case for the method, decide(),
based on:

The General form of Junit test follows the following steps:

1. Create an object and put it in a known state
2. Invoke a method which returns the "actual result"
3. Create the "expected result" which may be a primitive value or a more
complex object.
4. Invoke "assertEquals(expectedResult,actualResult)

    public int testdecide() {
                   int result=0;

                   // WmLoggerFilter subjectWmLoggerFilter = new
WmLoggerFilter();

                   return result;
          }
Since WmLoggerFilter is the class that contains testdecide()
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,

-Kamal.

Re: unit test decide(LoggingEvent inEvent)

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
If you check the source code of the other filters do they have unit
tests that would work as examples?

On 2/1/06, Kamal Ahmed <KA...@webmethods.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Could you please give me some CLUE, on how to proceed to test the following
> method:
>     public int decide(LoggingEvent inEvent) {
>
>             boolean retCode = false;
>
>             if (inEvent != null) {
>
>                 Matcher matcher =
> targetPattern.matcher(inEvent.getLoggerName());
>
>                 retCode = (matcher.find() == acceptMatch);
>
>             }
>
>             return (retCode) ? Filter.NEUTRAL : Filter.DENY;
>
>         }
>
> Now i need to write a junit test for this, but I am not sure WHERE to start?
>
> 1. Should i create a NEW instance of the class this method belongs to?
>
> 2. How do i get an "inEvent" of type LoggingEvent?
>
> 3. So this is how i have started writing test case for the method, decide(),
> based on:
>
> The General form of Junit test follows the following steps:
>
> 1. Create an object and put it in a known state
> 2. Invoke a method which returns the "actual result"
> 3. Create the "expected result" which may be a primitive value or a more
> complex object.
> 4. Invoke "assertEquals(expectedResult,actualResult)
>

>     public int testdecide() {
>                    int result=0;
>
>                    // WmLoggerFilter subjectWmLoggerFilter = new
> WmLoggerFilter();
>
>                    return result;
>           }
> Since WmLoggerFilter is the class that contains testdecide()
> I would appreciate any help.
> Thanks,
>
> -Kamal.

James Stauffer