Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/12/05 01:52:41 UTC

Sun Is Losing Its Way

Great guest editorial article (no web link yet it seems) in the November
Java Developers Journal that I suggest you read.

It briefly outlines how the JCP is screwing up the way that Sun manages
Java.

-jon

Re: Sun Is Losing Its Way

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Avalon has already ported some of their framework code to C# I believe.
  It is in CVS.

- Dan

Re: Sun Is Losing Its Way

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Heck yeah!  First task....  Get a copy of NANT that does more than crap
itself under mono...  Very very annoying...

The POIFS port is fairly senseless (for anyone who is apt to point this
out) on Windows as you could obviously use the MFC apis to get at it,
however, I doubt these will ever be complete on UNIX/et al..  Plus the
POIFS port will make way for an HSSF/HDF C# port later on.

Why?  you ask...  Learning experience....and delicious irony!

Lets move this to poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org.  I've NO idea when this
mail will make it out of my mailbox...long story regarding ice storms,
downed power lines and firewalls...

-Andy

Re: Sun Is Losing Its Way

Posted by Bob Johnson <bo...@comcast.net>.

Re: Sun Is Losing Its Way

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Thanks Jon.  Here's the link.

Re: Sun Is Losing Its Way

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/4 4:52 PM, "Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> Great guest editorial article (no web link yet it seems) in the November
> Java Developers Journal that I suggest you read.
>
> It briefly outlines how the JCP is screwing up the way that Sun manages
> Java.
>
> -jon

Here is the link...

    http://www.sys-con.com/java/article.cfm?id=1714

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco

Re: A suggestion for Scarab

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/5 6:18 AM, "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> wrote:

> Could someone put a note on that Login pages of Scarab that lets people
> know what the roles mean (what is a Partner, do we ever expect to have a
> Partner?), and that if one requests "Developer" role in any project that
> will be granted immediately.  Basically, my beef is that there is a
> *perceived* barrier to entry here, when in fact there absolutely none.
>
> ( Also, don't get me wrong Scarab is a great thing.  I'm noticing that
> Bugzilla doesn't scale well with all the projects/versions/components,
> etc....  )

That is a great request. In the ASF use of Scarab, we should just do away
with the default roles (yes, they are configurable) and simply just have two
roles: Root and Public. We don't need to categorize people in the ASF like
that.

-jon

A suggestion for Scarab

Posted by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net>.
What is nice about Apache is the transparency of the process, you don't
have to be a member of some specially selected club to see the process
of development.  There is anonymous access to the CVS repositories and
anyone can sign on to the mailing lists.  In effect, no one has to
approve a request to join a mailing list, checkout via anoncvs.   If
*Bill Gates* wanted to do a full checkout of the latest source of
jakarta-ojb, he doesn't need to ask permission.

One signs up for Bugzilla, get's a password in the email, and then can
quickly see bug reports for everything, and submit new bugs, etc.
Someone signs up for Scarab, and is presented with a system by which
they can request to be associated with certain projects.

Could someone put a note on that Login pages of Scarab that lets people
know what the roles mean (what is a Partner, do we ever expect to have a
Partner?), and that if one requests "Developer" role in any project that
will be granted immediately.  Basically, my beef is that there is a
*perceived* barrier to entry here, when in fact there absolutely none.

( Also, don't get me wrong Scarab is a great thing.  I'm noticing that
Bugzilla doesn't scale well with all the projects/versions/components,
etc....  )

--------
Tim O'Brien
W 847-574-2143