Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mikael St�ldal <d9...@d.kth.se> on 2000/04/24 17:43:11 UTC

Serializing and formatting

In article <Pi...@localhost.localdomain>,
Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> wrote:

>I tend to concur, though I also tend to hold the opposing viewpoint that
>cocoon should ask Xalan to do the rendering if Xalan was the last
>processor to touch the document. Otherwise how are you going to honor all
>of the different XSLT output directives people keep complaining that
>cocoon ignores?

Isn't it possible to support all XSLT output options in a general
serializing package?

--
/****************************************************************\
* You have just read a message from Mikael Ståldal.              *

Re: Serializing and formatting

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Mikael St�ldal wrote:

> In article <Pi...@localhost.localdomain>,
> Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> wrote:
>
> >I tend to concur, though I also tend to hold the opposing viewpoint that
> >cocoon should ask Xalan to do the rendering if Xalan was the last
> >processor to touch the document. Otherwise how are you going to honor all
> >of the different XSLT output directives people keep complaining that
> >cocoon ignores?
>
> Isn't it possible to support all XSLT output options in a general
> serializing package?

I don't think so - the formatter gets the resulting XML document, which is
generated by the XSLT, and doesn't (shouldn't) have the XSLT output option
information included in itself anywhere. That information would have to be
passed along as an extra set of arguments - which I don't think is
happening consistently perfectly right now.

- donald