Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jonathan Calvert <jc...@cq.com> on 2008/12/12 17:32:45 UTC

External process timed out?

I'm new to the CouchDB thing (thanks to the double-header presentation
at QCon) and have been toying around. I was working on a view and I kept
getting an "external process timed out" error. I have since rewritten
the view because I realized I was doing things inefficiently, but it
bothers me that I have no idea where to find the root cause of such an
error.  When I get errors like these is there anywhere this is logged
(It's not showing in couch.log) or some switch I can flip to see?

Re: External process timed out?

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
There is a log() function available to the map and reduce views.

It writes to couch.log, so you can use it for trace-style debugging.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: External process timed out?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan, that should be logged I think, perhaps it's being logged at
the DEBUG level vs. ERROR level or some such.

That error in particular is that your map function was taking longer
than five seconds on a single doc. Its possible to change the timeout
using an INI setting I believe.