Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/01 18:53:25 UTC

Documentation

Hi Howard,

A few questions about the current documentation scheme:

- I presume the component reference is currently defined in
    ...\src\documentation\content\xdocs\tapestry\ComponentReference
and all the .xml files in the directory are automatically picked up?

- What is the ant target for building the documentation? (component
reference specifically)

- What need to be done to build.xml in contrib to enable the documentation
of the contrib components as well? Just copy the marshall-documentation
target or sth else?

Sorry, I presume some investigation in the HiveMind build files would
probably reveal that, but I guess that time can be saved...

- mb

Re: Documentation

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you Howard. I will see what I can do about the contrib docs this
weekend...

-mb

> A few questions about the current documentation scheme:
>
> - I presume the component reference is currently defined in
>     ...\src\documentation\content\xdocs\tapestry\ComponentReference
> and all the .xml files in the directory are automatically picked up?

Exactly.

> - What is the ant target for building the documentation? (component
> reference specifically)

After "ant install", you can run "ant site".

"site" target builds all docs, including Clover, JUnit, etc.

After you run that once, you can use two addtiional targets

"ant fast-site" updates just the Forrest xml files and builds the output
HTML.

"ant live-site" updates the Forrest xml files, and runs Jetty to allow
interactive editting of the pages.

I use the latter all the time; I have a shortcut inside Eclipse to run
the "ant copy-documentation-to-composite" command, that copies all the
Forrest XML files into place for live-site.  Jetty will pick up such
changes immediately.  There's a lot of Cocoon under the covers.

> - What need to be done to build.xml in contrib to enable the documentation
> of the contrib components as well? Just copy the marshall-documentation
> target or sth else?

The trick is to create parallel directory stucture under
contrib/src/documentation, like the one under
framework/src/documentation, and update src/documentation/site.xml
(this is the master navigation index for all the Forrest-built
documentation).

> Sorry, I presume some investigation in the HiveMind build files would
> probably reveal that, but I guess that time can be saved...

It's anything but obvious, and I had to fight with Forrest in a number
of ways to make it work.  Forrest --- I like the results (mostly) but
not the process.

> - mb

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Documentation

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/1/05, Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Howard,
>
> A few questions about the current documentation scheme:
>
> - I presume the component reference is currently defined in
>     ...\src\documentation\content\xdocs\tapestry\ComponentReference
> and all the .xml files in the directory are automatically picked up?

Exactly.

> - What is the ant target for building the documentation? (component
> reference specifically)

After "ant install", you can run "ant site".

"site" target builds all docs, including Clover, JUnit, etc.

After you run that once, you can use two addtiional targets

"ant fast-site" updates just the Forrest xml files and builds the output HTML.

"ant live-site" updates the Forrest xml files, and runs Jetty to allow
interactive editting of the pages.

I use the latter all the time; I have a shortcut inside Eclipse to run
the "ant copy-documentation-to-composite" command, that copies all the
Forrest XML files into place for live-site.  Jetty will pick up such
changes immediately.  There's a lot of Cocoon under the covers.

> - What need to be done to build.xml in contrib to enable the documentation
> of the contrib components as well? Just copy the marshall-documentation
> target or sth else?

The trick is to create parallel directory stucture under
contrib/src/documentation, like the one under
framework/src/documentation, and update src/documentation/site.xml
(this is the master navigation index for all the Forrest-built
documentation).

> Sorry, I presume some investigation in the HiveMind build files would
> probably reveal that, but I guess that time can be saved...

It's anything but obvious, and I had to fight with Forrest in a number
of ways to make it work.  Forrest --- I like the results (mostly) but
not the process.

> - mb

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry