Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ngoc Minh VO <ng...@bnpparibas.com> on 2015/01/16 17:33:51 UTC

ODBC driver for C* 2.0.xx

Hello,

We are trying to connect some BI tools (eg. Tableau) to our NoSQL database running C* v2.0.6.

It seems that the latest Datastax's ODBC driver is not compatible with Cassandra v2.xx (but only with v1.xx, i.e. prior CQL3 era):
http://www.datastax.com/download#dl-datastax-drivers
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/using-the-datastax-odbc-driver-for-apache-cassandra

Could you please confirm that the latest version, still in beta, of Datastax's ODBC driver is incompatible with keyspaces created with CQL3? Is there any alternative connectors for BI tools (eg. Hive, Spark drivers...)?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Minh

intended solely for the intended addressees and is confidential.
If you receive this message in error,or are not the intended recipient(s),
please delete it and any copies from your systems and immediately notify
the sender. Any unauthorized view, use that does not comply with its purpose,
dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited. Since the internet
cannot guarantee the integrity of this message which may not be reliable, BNP PARIBAS
(and its subsidiaries) shall not be liable for the message if modified, changed or falsified.
Do not print this message unless it is necessary,consider the environment.

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message")
sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur ou s'il ne vous est pas destine,
merci de le detruire ainsi que toute copie de votre systeme et d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur. Toute lecture non autorisee, toute utilisation de
ce message qui n'est pas conforme a sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute
publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite. L'Internet ne permettant pas d'assurer
l'integrite de ce message electronique susceptible d'alteration, BNP Paribas
(et ses filiales) decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce message dans l'hypothese
ou il aurait ete modifie, deforme ou falsifie.
N'imprimez ce message que si necessaire, pensez a l'environnement.

RE: ODBC driver for C* 2.0.xx

Posted by Ngoc Minh VO <ng...@bnpparibas.com>.
Hello Jens,

Thanks for your quick answer. We got the same issue: connection OK, data browsing NOK.

I found an ODBC driver compatible CQL3, just released out yesterday by a company named Simba. But it is a commercial product...

Best regards,
Minh

> We are trying to connect some BI tools (eg. Tableau) to our NoSQL
> database running C* v2.0.6.
>
> It seems that the latest Datastax's ODBC driver is not compatible with
> Cassandra v2.xx (but only with v1.xx, i.e. prior CQL3 era):
> http://www.datastax.com/download#dl-datastax-drivers
> http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/using-the-datastax-odbc-driver-for-ap
> ache-cassandra
>
> Could you please confirm that the latest version, still in beta, of
> Datastax's ODBC driver is incompatible with keyspaces created with
> CQL3? Is there any alternative connectors for BI tools (eg. Hive,
> Spark drivers...)?

while I'm far from being authoritative, my experience confirms the
above: We could connect to the C* cluster, but would not see CQL3-created CFs.

We were successful in testing an ODBC to JDBC bridge in conjunction with the Datastax JDBC driver. (Which is not to say we were happy with the results... ODBC clients tend to assume SQL DBMS at the other end
;) But we were able to retrieve data that way, to confirm the
connection.)

Regards,
Jens

Re: ODBC driver for C* 2.0.xx