Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Novotny <no...@aei.mpg.de> on 2006/02/03 20:56:37 UTC

logging my own library in tomcat's shared classpath

Hi,

    I'm writing a library that will be used by multiple webapps in
Tomcat and wondering what are the tradeoffs between each of the logging
libraries to use with this library. The 3 I'm considering are
commons-logging, log4j, and JDK logger class... should it matter which
one I use if the library is in shared/lib? For instance if I use log4j,
it seems that I would also have to deploy log4j in shared/lib too I believe.

    Thanks, Jason

Re: logging my own library in tomcat's shared classpath

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.
Hello Jason,

Jason Novotny wrote:

> I'm writing a library that will be used by multiple webapps in
> Tomcat and wondering what are the tradeoffs between each of the
> logging libraries to use with this library. The 3 I'm considering are
> commons-logging, log4j, and JDK logger class... should it matter which
> one I use if the library is in shared/lib? For instance if I use
> log4j, it seems that I would also have to deploy log4j in shared/lib
> too I believe.

for a library I would take commons-logging out of the three you
mentioned. The administrator can choose beetwen log4j or Tomcat JULI or
x4juli for the whole server and therefore for your application at runtime.
Did you take a look at SLF4J at http://slf4j.org as possible Logging Wrapper API?
What logging API is used within the webapps? This may also be a point.

Regards
Boris