Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/06/01 04:05:16 UTC

RE: Is this a valid From: address?

> > > 2) An MTA should be configurable as to if it should reject remotely
> > > originated messages that are invalid but still deliverable.
> > > A relaying MTA may not wish to act as an Internet Message format cop.

> > Please review RFC 2821 section 3.8.4.

> This section is about gateways, systems that connect different mail
> transports, like UUCP and X400.

See section 2.3.8, which says in part:

   For the purposes of this specification,
   firewalls that rewrite addresses should be considered as gateways,
   even if SMTP is used on both sides of them (see [11]).

In this case, we're talking about POP3/IMAP fetching on one side, SMTP on
the other.

> I don't think it applies to mails recieved using SMTP. The initial problem
> at hand here (FetchPOP etc.) is lack of SMTP data.

Correct.  I don't dispute whether or not Fetchmail should try to do
something corrective.  But I don't believe that MailAddress should be
changed to support invalid addresses.

	--- Noel