Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Robinson <dr...@ast.cam.ac.uk> on 1995/12/01 16:38:00 UTC

Re: New manual

Brian wrote:
>>The new manual is in /export/pub/httpd/manual.tar.gz
>>manual.ps from that tar file should be included with the source distribution.
>I disagree - it would expand the source distribution by half again as much,
>even just the ps file gzipped.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic,
>but we can provide a link to it from the Apache home page and the
>distribution README file.

I've built a new version which uses PostScript fonts rather than TeX fonts.
Gzipped it only occupies 71Kb. I can see no reason for not including this
in the distribution.

I find inconceviable that it could be advantagous to ship software without
shipping documentation.

 David.

Re: New manual

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, David Robinson wrote:
> I've built a new version which uses PostScript fonts rather than TeX fonts.
> Gzipped it only occupies 71Kb. I can see no reason for not including this
> in the distribution.
>
> I find inconceviable that it could be advantagous to ship software without
> shipping documentation.

NCSA doesn't ship with documentation (last I was aware).  netsite doesn't
ship with electronic documentation.  Does CERN?  Providing a pointer to
the web site is sufficient in my opinion.

If enough others feel differently, we can stick this into the 1.0.0 I put
in /apache/dist easily.

	Brian