Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2007/12/31 20:20:13 UTC

[VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating

Hi Incubator PMC:

The Tika community voted on and has approved a proposal to release
Tika 0-1 incubating. Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation
Policy and with the endorsement of Jukka Zitting, one of our mentors we
would now like to request the permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the
tarball on the Tika Download page.

I'd also like to request on behalf of the Tika community that
/www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator/tika, be used as the warehouse for Tika
releases. I apologize for creating this directory ahead of time, without
asking the PMC: it's simply due to this being my first time as an incubator
release manager, and I assure you, it will not happen again.

Please vote by 6 PM PST Wednesday, 1/3/2008.

Thanks!

Proposal:
http://www.nabble.com/Tika-0.1-update-to14452777.html

Vote result:
http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--Tika-0.1-incubating-Release-Candidate-2-to14522
857.html

Download page:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/tika

(will update http://incubator.apache.org/tika/ to have link to above on left
hand navigation bar)

Releases section of the Incubation Policy:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Thanks!

Cheers,
 Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Cognizant Development Engineer
Early Detection Research Network Project
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246

Re: [VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Jan 3, 2008 8:09 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 5:31 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > +1 for this release, and note to developers to have a DISCLAIMER file
> > separately in both source release and the META-INF dir of the binary.
>
> Will do.
>
> On a related note, when and how did the DISCLAIMER file come to exist?
> I guess it's a legacy of Wicket, since that was the first time I
> recall seeing the file. To me it seems debatable whether the
> disclaimer is more prominent within the README file or in a separate
> DISCLAIMER file, but I'm OK to go with the latter if people prefer
> that.

The DISCLAIMER file is the most common practice I've seen in incubator
releases but README is fine too. AFAIK the exact location is by no means
policy as long as it's prominent enough. See:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer

Matthieu

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 3, 2008, at 11:09 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 5:31 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> +1 for this release, and note to developers to have a DISCLAIMER file
>> separately in both source release and the META-INF dir of the binary.
>
> Will do.
>
> On a related note, when and how did the DISCLAIMER file come to exist?
> I guess it's a legacy of Wicket, since that was the first time I
> recall seeing the file. To me it seems debatable whether the
> disclaimer is more prominent within the README file or in a separate
> DISCLAIMER file, but I'm OK to go with the latter if people prefer
> that.
>
>> I am also curious to know how Andy's and Ryan's contributions "came
>> to be". Do
>> we have any paper trail of this?
>
> The notice for Andy Clark was added for the NekoHTML [1] dependency
> (ALv2). The Tika codebase doesn't actually contain any of that code,
> just uses it as a dependency, so AFAIK the attribution in NOTICE
> wouldn't actually be needed. It got added [2] a while ago when we were
> considering a release bundle that contains all the dependencies. The
> notice was briefly questioned [3] and discussed [4] on tika-dev@ but
> so far no action was taken on it.
>
> The notice for Ryan Ackley is more substantial, as the Tika codebase
> contains a few classes (part of [5]) from his now-dormant
> textmining.org [6] codebase. Those classes found their way into Tika
> via the Nutch and Lius Lite codebases and their status was considered
> on tika-dev@ with Ryan on Cc [7].

IMO, the attribution for Ryan Ackley in the NOTICE file should include
the copyright for those source files (i.e. "Copyright 2004 Ryan
Ackley"). Could also ask for permission to remove the copyright from
those source files or move them to the NOTICE file as described in http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright

Everything else looked good...

+1

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 04 January 2008 07:08, ant elder wrote:
> Was going to say the Incubator disclaimer is missing
> in the artifacts but then found it in the README file, should probably move
> that to a separate DISCLAIMER file for later releases.

I agree.

+1 for this release, and note to developers to have a DISCLAIMER file
separately in both source release and the META-INF dir of the binary.

I am also curious to know how Andy's and Ryan's contributions "came to be". Do
we have any paper trail of this?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Looks ok to me so +1. Was going to say the Incubator disclaimer is missing
in the artifacts but then found it in the README file, should probably move
that to a separate DISCLAIMER file for later releases.

   ...ant

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Niall,

Your vote on tika-dev is a vote in favor. When the vote is tallied,
your vote as a member counts.

Unless you want to change your mind... ;-)

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Looks like thats the case - I got a permission denied, so I'll ping infra@

> I've just updated whoweare.html there - the automatic copy to the live
> site runs every few hours IIRC, so there's a lag in going live.

Thanks :)

Niall

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 7, 2008 4:04 PM, Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi Niall,
>
> Sorry: I checked:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/whoweare.html
>
> And it didn't have your name listed on the PMC. However, upon clicking that
> other link on that page, I found your name on the file:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/committee-info.txt
>
> Under the Incubator PMC. Sorry for that omission. However, it may be a good
> idea to get that first web page updated seeing as though it looks a bit
> outdated. I'm guessing I'm not the only one that's made that mistake! :)

OK thanks - I've refreshed that page in svn from committee-info.txt

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Niall,

Sorry: I checked:

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Niall,

Sorry: I checked:

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Jukka,

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Jukka,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Craig:

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Craig:

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1 to release.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Jan 2, 2008 6:18 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> As Craig pointed out, I would like to see a link to the artifacts you want to
> release, instead of us go hunting for it...

Sorry for the omission. As Graig noticed, the release candidate is available at:

    http://people.apache.org/~mattmann/apache-tika-0.1-incubating/rc2/

For the record, the MD5 checksums of the release artifacts are:

    d0a64471386e4c9dbd3b9ff15bcbcf4e  apache-tika-0.1-incubating-src.tar.gz
    12d3f37bef0c0ea6a36ba1f0e21c954a  tika-0.1-incubating.jar
    b4769ec9c63417dc0a4868a6550de023  tika-0.1-incubating.pom

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1 to release.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Dec 31, 2007 8:20 PM, Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> ...Please vote by 6 PM PST Wednesday, 1/3/2008....

+1

-Bertrand (Tika mentor)