Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by herman <hj...@hetnet.nl> on 2007/02/23 20:30:46 UTC

Fonts and copyrights

Hi all,

Suppose i want to put some pdf files on the web, but these
include some characters from a special font (non-free).
Now i've been told that as long as not the entire font
is put in the pdf file, but only those characters that are used
in the document, then i won't violate the copyright.

>From the documentation, i understand that using the option CID-keyed
will embed only those glyphs that are used in the document.

Now my questions:
1. is that correct? (version 0.92)
2. will that remain to be the case in future versions, too?
3. will partial font embedding indeed prevent copyright trouble?
4. does anyone have some extra advice?

Many thanks in advance,
Herman

Re: [SPAM] Fonts and copyrights

Posted by herman <hj...@hetnet.nl>.

Warren Young wrote:

> herman wrote:
>>
>> Suppose i want to put some pdf files on the web, but these
>> include some characters from a special font (non-free).
>> Now i've been told that as long as not the entire font
>> is put in the pdf file, but only those characters that are used
>> in the document, then i won't violate the copyright.
>
> If you write a book, and I put a copy of chapter 12 on my web site, am I
> violating your copyright?
>
> Please read through these sites:
>
> 	http://fairuse.stanford.edu/
> 	http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
> 	http://www.copyright.gov/
>
>> 4. does anyone have some extra advice?
>
> Buy a font that allows embedding, or use truly free fonts.  No other
> option gives you the rights you seek.

Ok, clear.
Suppose i have a font that does allow me subset embedding in a pdf file,
but not full embedding. So far i have found out the following:
(I use FOP with CID-keyed embedding.)
Then, judging from the file sizes, it seems that that produces subset
embedding
(many more symbols = much larger files).
But the Adobe Reader properties suggest that it's full embedding.

Who can clearify this mystery?

Regards,
Herman

Re: Fonts and copyrights