Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2006/10/15 11:04:16 UTC

report on Velocity Hackathon 2006

Hi,

Just a quick report on Hackathon 2006 for Velocity.

As you can see from the wiki page
(http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/HackaThon2006) we put a
significant dent in the list of open issues.

I'm particularly pleased to have gotten some new functionality
committed: my (in)famous secure uberspector which prevents dangerous
classloader related methods from being called (when configured), and a
new event handler that will report out all invalid references in a
page.

We also nailed some subtle bugs in the uberspector and macros, boldly
changed the application-level exceptions to be subclasses of runtime
exception, and got rid of the infamous "velocity.log" file except when
explicitly configured.  Nathan fixed up the StandardOutLog system to
be a bit more consistent about stdout vs. stderr.  Also worth
mentioning is a nasty little SQL injection vulnerability in the
DatasourceResourceLoader that Henning fixed a couple of weeks ago.

I had a chance to take a look at the work that Henning is doing on the
documentation.  I really hadn't appreciated how revolutionary this is.
 He's single-handedly converting all our xdocs for the software into a
new "DocBook" format.  (not the site-- that stays xdocs).  DocBook is
an industry standard, has a free WYSIWYG editor, and is stored in XML
format.  Henning gave a well-regard "lightening talk" at ApacheCon
advocating all projects follow the same approach.

What's next?  I'd like to see a beta 2 capturing these new items
released ASAP.  Then there's more bugs to fix, and the new docs to
finish.  We'll see how it goes.

As a sidenote, it was a treat to work on these issues surrounded by
other committers on the many ASF projects which use Velocity.  Good
feedback and enthusiasm all around.  The word is out about the move to
TLP and people approve of our new momentum.  Henning and I attended an
excellent session run by Sally Khudari on "Promoting your Open Source
Project".  When the time comes to announce a new release, I think we
should try to make a splash.

best,
WILL

Re: report on Velocity Hackathon 2006

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
That is great to hear Will. Thanks for giving everyone an update.

regards Malcolm Edgar