Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/06/05 13:51:18 UTC

Re: Timescale for 8.0.x EOL

<snip/>

> My proposal, adapted from the thread before discussion ceased last summer:
>
> 1. Set Tomcat 8.0.x EOL date for 31 May 2018
> 2. Discontinue monthly release cadence for Tomcat 8.0.x after 8.0.45
> 3. Make these announcements as soon as we have agreed to the details for
> #1 and #2

Yet again I managed to respond to the sender rather than the list...

+1, for #1 and #3 assuming that we make this 30 June 2018.

I'm neutral on #2 since it is unlikely to be me doing the releases. I've
no objection to monthly releases if someone wants to take that on. I
suspect every 2 to 3 months would be sufficient.

Mark

Re: Timescale for 8.0.x EOL

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Felix Schumacher
<fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> Am 6. Juni 2017 20:39:44 MESZ schrieb Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>:
>>Hi,

>>> On 19/05/17 23:19, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip/>

>>summer:

>>8.0.45
>>details for
>>>
>>> Yet again I managed to respond to the sender rather than the list...
>>>
>>> +1, for #1 and #3 assuming that we make this 30 June 2018.
>>>
>>> I'm neutral on #2 since it is unlikely to be me doing the releases.
>>I've
>>> no objection to monthly releases if someone wants to take that on. I
>>> suspect every 2 to 3 months would be sufficient.
>>
>>In case there are enough people that can test the releases and vote I
>>can
>>do the releases for example every 2 months.
>
> I will try to test and vote.

+1, me too :)

Re: Timescale for 8.0.x EOL

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Re: Timescale for 8.0.x EOL

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: Timescale for 8.0.x EOL

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 5/06/2017 à 15:51, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> +1, for #1 and #3 assuming that we make this 30 June 2018.
>
> I'm neutral on #2 since it is unlikely to be me doing the releases. I've
> no objection to monthly releases if someone wants to take that on. I
> suspect every 2 to 3 months would be sufficient.

On the Debian side we'll have to support Tomcat 8.0.x until April 2020
(end of Debian 8 "Jessie" LTS). Tomcat 8.0.x is also part of Ubuntu
16.04 LTS which is supported until April 2021. So if we can at least
backport the security fixes a bit longer that would be nice (I can help
with the backporting if necessary).

Emmanuel Bourg