Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "David Leangen (Apache)" <ap...@leangen.net> on 2020/05/01 05:39:36 UTC

Re: Building JAMES

> If you are not able to install Java 11 on your build machine, and prefer
> using Docker I recommend that you use the tested docker image for
> compilation. See: https://github.com/apache/james-project/#java-11

The build worked using Docker as you recommended.

FYI, for the fun of it, I also installed Java 11 on my Mac and tried to compile without Docker, but the build failed.

james-project$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.7" 2020-04-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.7+10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.7+10, mixed mode)

[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Task :: Memory implementation FAILURE [ 40.001 s]

[ERROR] Tests run: 32, Failures: 0, Errors: 32, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.089 s <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManagerTest
[ERROR] additionalInformationShouldBeUpdatedWhenFailed  Time elapsed: 0.018 s  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManager.<init>(org.apache.james.task.Hostname)'
at org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManagerTest.setUp(MemoryTaskManagerTest.java:33)

[ERROR] getStatusShouldReturnCompletedWhenRunSuccessfully  Time elapsed: 0 s  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManager.<init>(org.apache.james.task.Hostname)'
at org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManagerTest.setUp(MemoryTaskManagerTest.java:33)

Should I file a bug?

Cheers,
=David

Re: Building JAMES

Posted by Pablo Pita Leira <pa...@pitagoral.com>.
On 06.05.20 16:44, Raphaël Ouazana-Sustowski wrote:
> On my Linux box `mvn -DskipTests clean package` is working fine (I can
> even add -T1C to make it faster). I skip tests because there are very
> long (about 2h) and better reproducibe via Docker.

On my Ubuntu Linux box, at the end I also have succeeded to compile the
project. It required some actions. First, no JAVA_HOME is defined, so
the build failed. For that, launch maven defining it:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64 mvn -DskipTests clean package

The build then failed at:

mock-smtp-server: Building image tarball failed, perhaps you should make
sure your credentials for 'registry-1.docker.io/library/openjdk' are set
up correctly. See
https://github.com/GoogleContainerTools/jib/blob/master/docs/faq.md#what-should-i-do-when-the-registry-responds-with-unauthorized
for help:

 From the help, my installation has docker-credential-secretservice, so
this is added to the .docker/config.json:

|{"credsStore":"||secretservice"}|

Trying again, it came another error related to reaching the maximum
number of openfiles:

[ERROR]
/home/pablo/dev/jp/james-project/server/container/guice/cassandra-rabbitmq-guice/src/main/java/org/apache/james/modules/DistributedTaskManagerModule.java:[43,8]
error while writing
org.apache.james.modules.DistributedTaskManagerModule:
/home/pablo/dev/jp/james-project/server/container/guice/cassandra-rabbitmq-guice/target/classes/org/apache/james/modules/DistributedTaskManagerModule.class:
Too many open files

For this one, I increased that number in /etc/sysctl.conf

fs.file-max = 2097152

And in the bash session,

ulimit -n 4096

Check it: ulimit -aHS

After that, the james-project finally compiled.

Re: Building JAMES

Posted by Raphaël Ouazana-Sustowski <ro...@apache.org>.
Le 01/05/2020 à 07:39, David Leangen (Apache) a écrit :
>> If you are not able to install Java 11 on your build machine, and prefer
>> using Docker I recommend that you use the tested docker image for
>> compilation. See: https://github.com/apache/james-project/#java-11
> The build worked using Docker as you recommended.
>
> FYI, for the fun of it, I also installed Java 11 on my Mac and tried to compile without Docker, but the build failed.
>
> james-project$ java -version
> openjdk version "11.0.7" 2020-04-14
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.7+10)
> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.7+10, mixed mode)
>
> [INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Task :: Memory implementation FAILURE [ 40.001 s]
>
> [ERROR] Tests run: 32, Failures: 0, Errors: 32, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.089 s <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManagerTest
> [ERROR] additionalInformationShouldBeUpdatedWhenFailed  Time elapsed: 0.018 s  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManager.<init>(org.apache.james.task.Hostname)'
> at org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManagerTest.setUp(MemoryTaskManagerTest.java:33)
>
> [ERROR] getStatusShouldReturnCompletedWhenRunSuccessfully  Time elapsed: 0 s  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManager.<init>(org.apache.james.task.Hostname)'
> at org.apache.james.task.MemoryTaskManagerTest.setUp(MemoryTaskManagerTest.java:33)
>
> Should I file a bug?

Yes probably. Which version of Maven are you using?

On my Linux box `mvn -DskipTests clean package` is working fine (I can
even add -T1C to make it faster). I skip tests because there are very
long (about 2h) and better reproducibe via Docker.

Regards,

Raphaël.