Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jeff grant <ma...@jeffgrant.com> on 2003/09/12 22:11:41 UTC

Mac OSX, bootstrap build fails on linkcheck

Hello-

I've been trying, for about a week now, to get the maven bootstrap to
work from CVS.

It will always hang (or at least it SEEMS to hang) on the linkcheck
test, as follows:

  [exec] test:test:
      [exec]     [junit] dir attribute ignored if running in the same VM
      [exec]     [junit] Running org.apache.maven.linkcheck.LinkCheckTest
      [exec] maven-linkcheck-plugin: Not using a proxy

And it just sits there... and sits there... and sits there...

Am I missing something?  Am I just being impatient?  Is it actually
working away?  I've done a "top" and it doesn't seem to be doing
anything (99% idle), and there appears to be no disk IO or network
traffic going on...

The way that I've gotten it to work is to remove/rename this
directory after a CVS checkout/update:

maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/src/test

Once that happens, it builds just fine.

Any thoughts?

...jeff

PS:  I've just finished incorporating Maven into all my company's
development work... it's awesome!  Well done!

Re: Mac OSX, bootstrap build fails on linkcheck

Posted by Mike Bowler <mb...@GargoyleSoftware.com>.
jeff grant wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I've been trying, for about a week now, to get the maven bootstrap to
> work from CVS.
>
> It will always hang (or at least it SEEMS to hang) on the linkcheck
> test, as follows:

I've had the same problem on OS/X and mentioned it here before.  My
solution is to nuke the linkcheck directory after doing a cvs checkout.
  The bootstrap build will then work fine to build everything else.

On windows, I've had to bump up the memory available to maven in order
to run linkcheck but on OS/X it doesn't seem to matter how much memory I
give it, linkcheck just won't run.  Since nuking the linkcheck plugin
allows me to do everything else with maven, that's the approach I've taken.

--
Mike Bowler
Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.

Re: Mac OSX, bootstrap build fails on linkcheck

Posted by Kai Runte <kr...@ebi.ac.uk>.
Hi Jeff,

I use the 1.0-beta-10 (so no need to bootstrap), but have the same
problem when link checking during site:generate. Sometimes it acts even
more spectacular:
maven-linkcheck-plugin: Not using a proxy
/opt/maven/bin/maven: line 145:  9209 Bus error               $JAVACMD
$MAVEN_OPTS
-
Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFact
oryImpl
-
Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.Documen
tBuilderFactoryImpl "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=${MAVEN_ENDORSED}" -classpath
"${MAVEN_HOME}/lib/forehead-${FOREHEAD_VERSION}.jar"
"-Dforehead.conf.file=${MAVEN_HOME}/bin/forehead.conf"
"-Dtools.jar=$TOOLS_JAR" "-Dmaven.home=${MAVEN_HOME}" $MAIN_CLASS $@

So far I omit this problem be specifically stating the reports to be
run in the project.xml file excluding the linkcheck-plugin. Not of much
help for you I guess. :-(
I filed it as bug into Jira
(http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MAVEN-816).

	Kai

On Friday, Sep 12, 2003, at 21:11 Europe/London, jeff grant wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I've been trying, for about a week now, to get the maven bootstrap to
> work from CVS.
>
> It will always hang (or at least it SEEMS to hang) on the linkcheck
> test, as follows:
>

>  [exec] test:test:
>      [exec]     [junit] dir attribute ignored if running in the same VM
>      [exec]     [junit] Running
> org.apache.maven.linkcheck.LinkCheckTest
>      [exec] maven-linkcheck-plugin: Not using a proxy
>

> And it just sits there... and sits there... and sits there...
>
> Am I missing something?  Am I just being impatient?  Is it actually
> working away?  I've done a "top" and it doesn't seem to be doing
> anything (99% idle), and there appears to be no disk IO or network
> traffic going on...
>

> The way that I've gotten it to work is to remove/rename this directory
> after a CVS checkout/update:
>
> maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/src/test
>

> Once that happens, it builds just fine.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> ...jeff
>

> PS:  I've just finished incorporating Maven into all my company's
> development work... it's awesome!  Well done!

Real cats don't need names.
But they often get called them.
"Yaargeroffoutofityarbastard" does nicely.
         Terry Pratchett - The Unadulterated Cat

* email: krunte@ebi.ac.uk                                           *
* fon +44 (0)1223 494434 fax +44 (0)1223 494468                     *
* EMBL Outstation - EBI (European Bioinformatics Institute)         *
* Wellcome Trust Genome Campus                                      *
* Hinxton, Cambridge                                                *
* CB10 1SD, United Kingdom                                          *