Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vesa Suontama <ve...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/22 10:52:15 UTC

question: Not archiving binaries, but just keeping the latest copy?

Hello,

Can subversion be used in a mode, where it does not store different
versions of binaries (or files),  but just keeps the latest copy
available on server?

The company I work for has a set of big files, which change quite
often. In our case, usually only the latest version of the file is
relevant. So is it possible to configure svn so that only the latest
version is available? I would like to save disk space on server.

Additionally, can svn be configured so that only tagged and the latest
versions are available on server?

Or I am looking into a wrong tool, should I just use rsync instead and
only store the to-be-tagged-files to svn?

Thanks,

Vesa

Re: question: Not archiving binaries, but just keeping the latest copy?

Posted by Fabian Cenedese <Ce...@indel.ch>.
>>Can subversion be used in a mode, where it does not store different
>>versions of binaries (or files),  but just keeps the latest copy
>>available on server?
>
>No, it can not be used like that. The very idea of using subversion
>is to never loose any data, including each and every old version of
>a specific file or directory.

Don't know if that is a possible solution for you, but you can keep
e.g. a zipped version of your binary file in svn. Upon checkout the
file needs to be unzipped. Together with an 'ignore' on the unzipped
file you can change the unzipped file as much as you want. Only
if you zip the file the zipped file would be committed again. Actually
it doesn't even have to be zipped, just renamed. But if it's zipped
it makes it harder to accidentally change it. Of course this method
depends on if it's workable to have a file unzipped after checkout.

bye  Fabi

Re: question: Not archiving binaries, but just keeping the latest copy?

Posted by Dirk Schenkewitz <sc...@docomolab-euro.com>.
Hello Vesa,

Vesa Suontama wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can subversion be used in a mode, where it does not store different
> versions of binaries (or files),  but just keeps the latest copy
> available on server?

No, it can not be used like that. The very idea of using subversion
is to never loose any data, including each and every old version of
a specific file or directory.

> The company I work for has a set of big files, which change quite
> often. In our case, usually only the latest version of the file is
> relevant. So is it possible to configure svn so that only the latest
> version is available? I would like to save disk space on server.
>
> Additionally, can svn be configured so that only tagged and the latest
> versions are available on server?

As far as I know: No.

> Or I am looking into a wrong tool, should I just use rsync instead and
> only store the to-be-tagged-files to svn?

Yes, most likely :) Subversion never forgets anything (as long as no
failure of any kind occurs), so if you merely want to make a copy of
the newest file, rsync is suitable while subversion is not.
If you want to make certain files available to the public or to certain
people, setting up an rsync server might do the job. Most likely much
better than subversion. :)

Best regards
   Dirk