Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Allan Carroll <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/22 19:08:16 UTC

Cassandra Chef recipe and EC2 snitch

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new cluster on EC2 for the first time and looking at the wiki cloud setup page (http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CloudConfig). There's a chef recipe linked there that mentions an ec2snitch. The link doesn't seem to go where it says it does. Does anyone know where those resources have gone or are they no longer available?

Thanks
-Allan

Re: Cassandra Chef recipe and EC2 snitch

Posted by Dave Viner <da...@pobox.com>.
You don't need the ec2snitch necessarily.  AFAIK, It's meant to be a
"better" way of detecting where your ec2 instances are.  But, unless you're
popping instances all the time, I don't think it's worth it.

Check out the step-by-step guide on that same page.  Pure EC2 api calls to
setup your cluster.

You can also use rackaware-ness in EC2.  Just add in the PropertyFile
endpoint and put your rack file in /etc/cassandra/rack.properties.

Dave Viner

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.
the link mentions an ec2snitch, but i don't.  the cookbook can just
generate property files for the propertysnitch (which i much prefer to
the use of a dedicated snitch).  the algorithm for decided locality is
at least as dumb as the one in the rack-aware snitch.  on the plus
side, it's just a little ruby, so easily fixed!