Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2008/09/01 22:57:03 UTC

Re: [net] GroupId from commons-net

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM, simon <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> It is generally agreed that a groupId of "org.apache.commons.*" would be
> better. However when changing the groupId it is necessary to also
> correctly deploy a "redirect" pom to tell maven that the groupId has
> been changed; failing to do this can result in an app getting two copies
> of the same library in the classpath because Maven does not know that
> the two different groupIds are actually equivalent.

Would this also be applicable in the case of commons-net 2.0 which
breaks backwards compatibility and thus is not a automatic replacement
for the existing commons-net releases? A user ending up with both
commons-net-1.4 and commons-net-2.0 in her classpath would surely be
confused, but that's also true if she gets 1.4 replaced by 2.0 behind
the scenes.

> Deploying this "redirect" pom must be done at the same time as a version
> release.
>
> And because the central repo artifacts should never be modified, the
> redirect pom had better be correct the first time, or things get
> embarrassing.

Yeah, I sure don't want to get into that mess :-)

/niklas