Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2004/06/19 15:30:30 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Hi everyone,

Berin thankfully pushed again and I'm taking the time for another round.
Considering what I think is the general opinion, here's what I propose:

1. We create that XML Graphics PMC taking Batik and FOP under the new
umbrella. I hope I don't have to explain again that nothing will change
for our users. We will still use the XML project's infrastructure.

2. We will take Batik in even though the patient is in a suboptimal
condition ATM. The PMC to-be-formed agrees to keep an eye on the project
and help if any potential new committer bubbles up. When Batik's life
energies come up to healthy levels again it shall be more strongly
represented in the PMC as people come available.

3. I propose the following FOP people for the minimal initial PMC: Peter
B. West, Jörg Pietschmann, Glen Mazza. I'd also propose at least some of
the more junior committers but I don't know how anyone feels about that.
Please propose any additional candidates as you see fit. I don't propose
myself but I'm available if anyone proposes me.

4. I propose both Vincent Hardy and Thomas DeWeese from the Batik
project as PMC members. I'd appreciate if at least one of the two
accepted even if you can't actively participate in the development.
You know it isn't much to do but it's important to have at least someone
on board.

I'll update the board resolution draft and set up a charter draft during
the next few days (also peeking at the other works). The proposed PMC
members are kindly invited to indicate whether they would be available
for the post. Votes of support are requested for the nominations.

If anyone is against this proposal (or parts of it) please speak up. We
need to get this done.

I appreciate any kind of help I can get.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 03:30:30PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Berin thankfully pushed again and I'm taking the time for another round.
> Considering what I think is the general opinion, here's what I propose:
>
> 1. We create that XML Graphics PMC taking Batik and FOP under the new
> umbrella. I hope I don't have to explain again that nothing will change
> for our users. We will still use the XML project's infrastructure.

I have not followed the discussion and do not know the advantages or
disadvantages. Therefore I am neither in favour of nor against this
proposal.

> 3. I propose the following FOP people for the minimal initial PMC: Peter
> B. West, Jörg Pietschmann, Glen Mazza. I'd also propose at least some of
> the more junior committers but I don't know how anyone feels about that.
> Please propose any additional candidates as you see fit. I don't propose
> myself but I'm available if anyone proposes me.

Sounds fine with me. I do care about organizational matters, as a
necessary evil. But I have little time to spend on FOP, and I would
not like to fragment it over multiple concerns. Therefore I prefer not
to be a candidate. I have not been long enough on the project anyway.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Jeremias,

This looks fairly sound to me!  Hugely appreciate your putting this
together.

Cheers,
	Berin

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Clay,

a vote is there to decide on certain things. A proposal is merely a
possible course of action that can be discussed. It may be concluded by
a formal vote once all the details are clear. I don't know of anyone who
is clearly against the creation of the XML Graphics PMC. I expect
everyone who has a problem with what's going on to make him/herself
heard, the sooner the better.

I'm simply trying to get attention by using "[PROPOSAL]" in the subject,
to invite everyone to participate in figuring out the details. When
everything's set, we're going to do a binding vote that will show the
board our consensus on the matter.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
Clay Leeds wrote:

> Being new to this VOTING thing, I'm a bit confused. I believe I've made
> it clear in a previous message, that I'm in favor of the PROPOSAL to
> create the XML Graphics PMC which will be the new 'home' of FOP and
> Batik, but I'm unclear on how this process works. I'm also in favor of
> the votes for membership expressed below (scroll down a bit for my
> specific votes...).
>
> What I'm unclear on, is the 'legal' difference between PROPOSAL and
> VOTE. I'd thought that the only time a VOTE really counts is when the
> SUBJECT includes VOTE. I've searched through the ASF docs, and the only
> place I can see PROPOSAL discussed, is[1], hence my confusion.:
>
> [1]
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
>
>   Rules require that a negative vote includes an
>   alternative proposal or a detailed explanation
>   on the reasons for the negative vote.
>
> In any case, My VOTE(s) for this PROPOSAL (assuming they are appropriate
> now) are below:
>
> Creation of the XML Graphics PMC
> +1

Very sensible Clay.  It was somewhat premature of me to vote on
membership before we had a formal proposal for the XML Graphics
top-level project.  However, I assume the vote on members will still be
valid when we get to putting a proposal forward, and voting on the
acceptance of the charter.  If not, we can ask for it again.

Peter

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

On Jun 25, 2004, at 2:28 AM, Peter B. West wrote:
> Peter B. West wrote:
>> Formally, my votes for membership of the XML Graphics PMC are:
>> Joerg Pietschmann +1

+1

>> Glen Mazza        +1

+1

>> Jeremias Maerki   +1 (conditional on his acceptance of nomination)

+1 (conditional on his acceptance of nomination)

>> Peter
>> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> 4. I propose both Vincent Hardy and Thomas DeWeese from the Batik
>>> project as PMC members. I'd appreciate if at least one of the two
>>> accepted even if you can't actively participate in the development.
>>> You know it isn't much to do but it's important to have at least
>>> someone
>>> on board.
>
> Note that I will vote for Vincent and/or Thomas if they express an
> interest.

As will I.

Vincent Hardy +1 (conditional on his acceptance of nomination)
Thomas DeWeese +1 (conditional on his acceptance of nomination)

> Peter
> --
> Peter B. West <http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html>

Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com
- --
Web Developer - Medata, Inc. - <http://www.medata.com/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
Jeremias,

Thanks for the work on such thankless tasks as this, and thanks for the
nomination.  I have expressed some scepticism about the direction the
Board is taking with TLPs, but it doesn't hurt to have a sceptic on the
PMC.  Like you, I'm sure, I don't particularly like administrative work,
but I'm honoured to be nominated.

I would urge new committers to consider indicating a preparedness (on or
off line) to participate in the PMC.  When I was first elected to the
XML PMC as a FOP rep, I was quite up-front about the appeal of
membership on my C.V., so don't be shy.

I would also like to see you on the PMC, is only because it is fair to
recognise the amount of effort you have put into bringing this TLP into
being.

If you want to bounce ideas about, or drafts of, the charter off me,
please do so.  I'll give what assistance I can.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
This seems like a sound proposal to me. Batik being such an important
component of the family, it is important to keep it maintained. See below
for other comments...

Glen Mazza said:
> Everything is fine--especially adding me to the PMC
> ;)--but three more proposals to add:
>
> 1.)  Jeremias Maerki added to this PMC and also made
> head of it.

Hear! Hear!

> 2.)  Jeremias Maerki automatically added as committer
> to the Batik project at (or just before) time of
> formation of XML Graphics.  Batik has not been active
> for quite some time, and it needs more committers to
> be able to apply patches to its code base.  He is
> already well trained in SVG and Java Graphics.
>
> [Bulletin:  Apparently Batik will be getting one more
> committer soon:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=batik-dev&m=108739195725928&w=2]

Makes sense to me...

> 3.)  Upon becoming committer, as "price" for Batik
> committership, Jeremias will update the licenses on
> its source files to the 2.0 license.

Having recently completed the same thing for FOP I can think of no one
more 'qualified'!

> Glen
>
> --- Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Berin thankfully pushed again and I'm taking the
>> time for another round.
>> Considering what I think is the general opinion,
>> here's what I propose:
>>
>> 1. We create that XML Graphics PMC taking Batik and
>> FOP under the new
>> umbrella. I hope I don't have to explain again that
>> nothing will change
>> for our users. We will still use the XML project's
>> infrastructure.
>>
>> 2. We will take Batik in even though the patient is
>> in a suboptimal
>> condition ATM. The PMC to-be-formed agrees to keep
>> an eye on the project
>> and help if any potential new committer bubbles up.
>> When Batik's life
>> energies come up to healthy levels again it shall be
>> more strongly
>> represented in the PMC as people come available.
>>
>> 3. I propose the following FOP people for the
>> minimal initial PMC: Peter
>> B. West, Jörg Pietschmann, Glen Mazza. I'd also
>> propose at least some of
>> the more junior committers but I don't know how
>> anyone feels about that.
>> Please propose any additional candidates as you see
>> fit. I don't propose
>> myself but I'm available if anyone proposes me.

I'm happy to assist in any capacity I'm able to assist.

>> 4. I propose both Vincent Hardy and Thomas DeWeese
>> from the Batik
>> project as PMC members. I'd appreciate if at least
>> one of the two
>> accepted even if you can't actively participate in
>> the development.
>> You know it isn't much to do but it's important to
>> have at least someone
>> on board.

I couldn't agree more. Having the most active participants on the PMC is
important in maintaining the 'flow' of development. It might also be good
to invite other Batik contributors as well, although I'm not particularly
familiar with the history of Batik.

>> I'll update the board resolution draft and set up a
>> charter draft during
>> the next few days (also peeking at the other works).
>> The proposed PMC
>> members are kindly invited to indicate whether they
>> would be available
>> for the post. Votes of support are requested for the
>> nominations.
>>
>> If anyone is against this proposal (or parts of it)
>> please speak up. We
>> need to get this done.
>>
>> I appreciate any kind of help I can get.
>>
>> Jeremias Maerki

Thank you, Jeremias for doing all this work, and following thorugh to make
certain things go as smoothly as possible. This sounds like a well
thought-out proposal, and I hope it is viewed favorably by all involved.

Web Maestro Clay

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Glen Mazza wrote:

> Reconsidered.  OK, I'll join, and reinstate my first
> proposal, that of you joining the PMC and (yes) being
> its head.

Hi Glen,

glad that you reconsidered, I agree with Jeremias, the PMC needs you. It also
needs Jeremias, so I second your proposal to have Jeremias on the PMC.

Chris

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Glen Mazza wrote:

> --- Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> wrote:
>
>>    Also I will be resuming participation so much of
>>this burden should be lifted.
>
> I've noticed [1]--fantastic!  And I believe you're
> getting a new committer soon, so there will be more
> help on the project.

    Yes, Cameron McCormack will/has become a new committer.

> Three issues:
>
> 1.) It would be nice to have Batik bugzilla notices
> routed to Batik-Dev so others (Vincent, or the new
> committer) can view them as they come in--they
> currently just go to the Kodak email address by
> default.

    Actually each of the components has an assigned
person (currently either Vincent or myself).  I
don't have permission to edit the Batik Bugzilla
properties so I can't really change this.

> 2.) (What prompted #1 above)

    It was just the way things were initially setup.
I think the idea was to more or less automatically
assign a person.  Since I don't think the Apache
Bugzilla install has the 'auto-cc' list (only the
responsible field for each component) it wasn't
possible to assign someone and cc the dev list.

    It probably makes sense to change this behavior
now.

> If you could apply the
> two patches I sent about two months ago, that would be
> great--they fix some minor GUI issues I found with the
> SVG browser.

    I'll try and take a look at them.

> 3.)  How does one pronounce your project?  The
> dictionary gives two possible pronounciations:
> Ba-TEEK and Ba-TIHK.

    I think we all tend to use 'Ba-TEEK', but we aren't
fussy :)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> wrote:

> Hi Glen,
>
>     I'm glad you reconsidered.
>
>     Also I will be resuming participation so much of
> this
> burden should be lifted.

I've noticed [1]--fantastic!  And I believe you're
getting a new committer soon, so there will be more
help on the project.

Three issues:

1.) It would be nice to have Batik bugzilla notices
routed to Batik-Dev so others (Vincent, or the new
committer) can view them as they come in--they
currently just go to the Kodak email address by
default.

2.) (What prompted #1 above)  If you could apply the
two patches I sent about two months ago, that would be
great--they fix some minor GUI issues I found with the
SVG browser.

3.)  How does one pronounce your project?  The
dictionary gives two possible pronounciations:
Ba-TEEK and Ba-TIHK.

Thanks,
Glen

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?a=105474001700005&r=1&w=2

Re: [PROPOSAL] Finally creating the XML Graphics PMC....

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Glen,

    I'm glad you reconsidered.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Glen,

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Jeremias,

I agree with you.  Thomas apparently stopped working on it because of
licensing issues.  For all I know about Batik--next to nothing--perhaps
it links with 10-15 libraries, half of which may have incompatible or
out-of-date licensing.  I have no clue, and I'm not motivated enough to
study its code base to find out.

I do know, however, that I don't need the headache of being concerned
about it, or the maintenance responsibility for it should something be
wrong.  I have way too much work on FOP.  And see nothing gained by
being (1) responsible for a product while (2) not having write access to
it.  (Even if I did get write access, SVG is not one of my main
interests anyway.)  Accordingly, I'm taking myself out of this PMC
proposal--I don't care to sit on this PMC.  But thanks for your offer.

Also, based on your response, I'm going to rescind my three proposals.
If you are interested in any of them, please propose yourself, or wait
for another team member to propose you.

Thanks,
Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.