Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2010/01/27 09:16:31 UTC

[server] Splitting configurations /configuration cleanup

Hi all,

I would like to split the current configuration file
(james-config.xml) of james in a more logical way. I think keeping
everything in one file is just confusing. I would like to split the
config file to one file per service/component. I think this would make
it even easier for us to reload config per service etc later.

This would give us something like:

pop3server.xml
imapserver.xml
smtpserver.xml
remotemanager.xml
james.xml
spoolmanager.xml
dnsserver.xml
domainlist.xml
management.xml
mailstore.xml
users-store.xml
virtualusertable-store.xml
spoolrepository.xml

(maybe using one config for all the stores + repostory).

I would also like to remove all the commented mailets and just keep
the "important" ones. If users / devs really want to add an extra
mailet then they should read up on them on the docs.

WDYT ?

Bye,
Norman

Re: [server] Splitting configurations /configuration cleanup

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Eric,

to be honest you will not be able to reuse your config.xml without
modifications. Current development version of james is not compatible
(config-wise) with 2.3.x. We will provide "migration" informations to
our users once the new configuration layout is worked out.

Bye,
Norman

Ps: I think we can stilll provide a config.xml file which includes all
other xmls.

AW: [server] Splitting configurations /configuration cleanup

Posted by Mario Zsilak <ma...@inew-cs.com>.
Hi,

Splitting up the stuff is IMO a good idea, because the current config-file
is way too big. However I would keep the commented stuff, because it helps
new users a lot in getting into james and to show what is possible.

At least it helped me a lot :)

Kind regards,
Mario

Posted by Eric MacAdie <er...@MacAdie.net>.

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Mario Zsilak <ma...@inew-cs.com>.

>> I would also like to remove all the commented mailets and just keep
>> the "important" ones. If users / devs really want to add an extra
>> mailet then they should read up on them on the docs.
>
> This will end up in spoolmanager.xml .. maybe we could have a
> spoolmanager.xml.example with the commented stuff?
>
> Stefano

+1

Re: [server] Splitting configurations /configuration cleanup

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2010/1/27 Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to split the current configuration file
> (james-config.xml) of james in a more logical way. I think keeping
> everything in one file is just confusing. I would like to split the
> config file to one file per service/component. I think this would make
> it even easier for us to reload config per service etc later.

I'm fine with this change. Ideally I'd like to extract some basic
variable to a property file, so that hostname, servernames, dns
servers and other *MUST CHANGE* configuration are in the property
files so that for a basic setup you don't have to touch the xml (maybe
spring can help us here?)