Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de> on 2020/02/06 12:24:34 UTC

How our project recently works

Hello,

I would like to tell you (just as an example) about a few things
in which I was and am at best peripherally involved:

The primary purpose of the described acts was to provide developers and
other commiters to make the work of contributors easier:

1. We moved our version control system from subversion to git. This is
seen by all developers as a great improvement even by those who were
initially skeptical.

2. The pootle server for the translations was fixed and a
technical process developed to provide the translators continuously with
strings to be translated and to integrate continuously translations into
the code.

3. Building Apache OpenOffice is anything but trivial. Matthias
currently has the Windows build under control and accompanied in close
contact with the maintainer the OS/2 port. Jim takes currently care the
Mac and Linux builds Pedro finally covers the BSD area.

Mechtilde successfully tries to support AOO also under Debian GNU/Linux
to build with younger compiler and library versions (just as a
precaution: building according to Debian guidelines is currently not
possible). This work is also seminal for other distributions.

Mechtilde also needs this instance for her work in
technical support for the translation process (see 2.).

All this work was "spontaneously" was done by interested volunteers
without a project manager, a steering committee, a Scrum master or a
project planning. There waere also neither Sprints, nor deadlines. One
person started a task and then others collaborated and continued the work.

The coordination among the participants is usually informal. If
Andrea, Matthias, Mechtilde and Peter are sitting at FOSDEM in the
cafeteria at a table, they don't talk about the weather or the qualities
Belgian beers, but of course about what they are currently doing and
plan to do.

Organizing meetings with physical presence would be difficult and
expensive. In fact, the people involved are  spread over three
continents (North and South America once as separate continents
considered). Coordination is done over channels of the internet (which
is difficult enough because of the time zones). The European ones, in
particular the German participants also meet frequently the various
events. And when Mechtilde and I are in Hamburg of course Markus and
Matthias and mostly others are informed.

The only exception to the rule of informal cooperation in the above
examples was the changeover to git (see 1.). Here a vote of the PMC was
needed because involving Apache Infra and because it was a migration
away from software of another Apache project.

Apache OpenOffice has the advantage that the vast majority of developers
use software themselves and mostly are in contact with other users.

Of course we also think iintensively (and talk) about, how we can
broaden the developer base in a sustainable way. The IMO most promising
suggestion has recently come from Patricia, who suggested, with very
good reason, to draw attention of C++ developers to our project. But
until the seed of this idea can bring fruits, it inevitably takes time.

Those who are active in the project receive no remuneration and work
voluntary. Usually they spend money to commit. They are enthusiastics
and this is IMO the best prerequisite to inspire others.

I don't want to "cheer" our project. It's aware to everyone I know,
that our project is in a precarious situation - and that not just since
yesterday. But these circumstances do not only severely limit our
opportunities, but also open up opportunities for each individual -
to try out and prove themselves in interesting tasks.

Our "bus factor" [0] is unfortunately, as everyone is aware, small.
Therefore newcomers are "welcomed with open arms" by all.

Because of the situation, everyone is also constantly thinking about how
processes can be improved and the work can be made more efficient. The
above examples may be taken as evidence of this.

Greeting
Michael

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

P.S.: Most of the text was translated by DeepL, my english is much poorer

RE: How our project recently works

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hallo Peter,

I will answer you exceptionally by PM, and in German, because it seems to me too difficult to go into some details in English.

Jörg

RE: How our project recently works

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
I am not sure.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
I do mean that dev needs to be informed on discussions on dev-de.

Hth
Peter

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Halle Peter,

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Jörg,

we have been asked by the board to sync dev-de and dev.

We need to sum up the other parts of the german discussion too.

all the best

Peter

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,