Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Agalatea <va...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/19 10:40:31 UTC

ActiveMQ.DLQ filled up with TopicSubdiscard and Duplicated deliveries

I'm running ActiveMQ 5.15.0.

My ActiveMQ.DLQ is filling up with messages with dlqDeliveryFailureCause
like following:
java.lang.Throwable: TopicSubDiscard.
ID:ID:babbbbc63a56-37427-1523628495562-1:44:1:1
java.lang.Throwable: Suppressing duplicate delivery on connection, consumer
ID:82e8ed600671-38460-1517479481261-1:2:1:1

And I'm hitting storage limit too often.

How should I clean up ActiveMQ.DLQ in automatic way so that they expire or
what to do to not have them generated at all?

These messages with dlqDeliveryFailureCause different than expiration of
message don't respect policies - they are not given expiration time set in
sharedDeadLetterStrategy.

My policies are following:

<policyEntry topic=">">
                        <pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
                            <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy
limit="1000" />
                        </pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
</policyEntry>
<policyEntry queue=">">
                        <deadLetterStrategy>
                            <sharedDeadLetterStrategy expiration="86400000"
/>
                        </deadLetterStrategy>
</policyEntry>

                    <policyEntry queue="ABC.Q.ABCINT.>"
prioritizedMessages="true" expireMessagesPeriod="1000">
                        <deadLetterStrategy>
                            <sharedDeadLetterStrategy
processNonPersistent="true" expiration="86400000">
                                <deadLetterQueue>
                                    <queue physicalName="ABC.Q.ABCINT.DLQ"
/>
                                </deadLetterQueue>
                            </sharedDeadLetterStrategy>
                        </deadLetterStrategy>
                    </policyEntry>

So far I tried:
<timeStampingBrokerPlugin zeroExpirationOverride="86400000" />
but expiration is not set for these "TopicSubDiscard" and "Suppressing
duplicate delivery" messages.

I also tried:
<discardingDLQBrokerPlugin dropOnly="ActiveMQ.DLQ" reportInterval="1000"/>
But then my policies for setting ABC.Q.ABCINT.DLQ as DLQ of ABC.Q.ABCINT.>
stopped working, discarding plugin overrides them.

Re: ActiveMQ.DLQ filled up with TopicSubdiscard and Duplicated deliveries

Posted by Anna Jaworska <va...@gmail.com>.
About:
<discardingDLQBrokerPlugin dropOnly="ActiveMQ.DLQ" reportInterval="1000"/>
But then my policies for setting ABC.Q.ABCINT.DLQ as DLQ of ABC.Q.ABCINT.>
stopped working, discarding plugin overrides them.

After debugging I found that discarding plugin has dropAll behavior always
on, so without explicitly setting dropAll to false i.e.:
<discardingDLQBrokerPlugin dropOnly="ActiveMQ.DLQ" dropAll="false"
reportInterval="1000"/>
it works as if drop all was enabled and that overwrites custom policies.

Also these messages with dlqDeliveryFailureCause :
java.lang.Throwable: TopicSubDiscard.
ID:ID:babbbbc63a56-37427-1523628495562-1:44:1:1
java.lang.Throwable: Suppressing duplicate delivery on connection, consumer
ID:82e8ed600671-38460-1517479481261-1:2:1:1

don't seem to go through sendToDeadLetterQueue() .

I ended up so far with my own plugin that is overwriting

public void send(ProducerBrokerExchange producerExchange, Message messageSend)

that is dropping all messages that enter ActiveMQ.DLQ.

Still any hints what produces "TopicSubDiscard" and "Suppressing duplicate
delivery on connection" are welcome. I presume these are produced by end
application not broker itself.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.