Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by stephen schneider <ss...@hotmail.com> on 2013/03/13 00:17:00 UTC

Displaying pages with no page-breaks between them

Dear OpenOfficers:

Thanks for your time and support on this admittedly simple question:

Before swtiching to OO, I used ms word, where it was possible to view text documents continuously: i.e., pages were separated by one line only.  To set this up, one went to the 'View' heading and chose 'Normal.'

Now, in OO, pages are separated by a blue area (the background?), so when one goes down a multi-page document, there's a jump after every page.  The document is discontinuous, which I don't like.

So, the questions: is it possible in OO for pages to be separated by one line (and not by the gap described above)?  How to set this up?  How to make this the default for viewing documents?

Thanks all around.

Re: How to display pages with no breaks between them

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Doug wrote:
> Don't try to copy any of Cicero's speeches! His Latin could go for a
> full page without even ending a sentence!

I haven't seen him on the list lately.  ;-)

Re: How to display pages with no breaks between them

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 08 May 2013 12:08:15 -0400
Doug <dm...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 05/08/2013 11:47 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 May 2013 15:29:55 +0000
> > stephen schneider <ss...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> /snip/
> >
> > Both of these will minimise the intrusion of the page break.  Be aware that OpenOffice does not like (= really hates) paragraphs containing more that 64K characters.
> >
> Don't try to copy any of Cicero's speeches! His Latin could go for a
> full page without even ending a sentence!
>
> --doug

As a rough guide, depending on spacing and paper size, the single paragraph limit is about 10-15 pages of US Letter (A4).

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: How to display pages with no breaks between them

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 8 May 2013 15:29:55 +0000
stephen schneider <ss...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear OpenOfficers:
>
> Thanks for your time and support on this admittedly simple question:
>
> Before swtiching to OO, I used ms word, where it was possible to view text documents continuously: i.e., pages were separated by one line only.  To set this up, one went to the 'View' heading and chose 'Normal.'
>
> Now, in OO, pages are separated by a blue area, so when one goes down a multi-page document, there's a jump after every page.  The document is discontinuous, which I don't like.
>
> So, the questions: is it possible in OO for pages to be separated by one line (and not by the gap described above)?  How to set this up?  How to make this the default for viewing documents?

Two ways:
Move to /View /Web view
or
Set Page height (/Format /Page : Page tab, User) to the max allowable of 300 cm (118.11")

Re: Displaying pages with no page-breaks between them

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 23:17 12/03/2013 +0000, Stephen Schneider wrote:
>Before switching to OO, I used ms word, where it was possible to
>view text documents continuously: i.e., pages were separated by one
>line only.  To set this up, one went to the 'View' heading and chose
>'Normal.'  Now, in OO, pages are separated by a blue area (the
>background?), so when one goes down a multi-page document, there's a
>jump after every page.  The document is discontinuous, which I don't
>like.  So, the questions: is it possible in OO for pages to be
>separated by one line (and not by the gap described above)?

Not that I know of.  But you may be able to make use of View | Web
Layout, which displays your document without its page structure (but
doesn't lose what you have in the document); this enables you to
concentrate on the text itself and not the final layout.

>How to make this the default for viewing documents?

Again, I don't think you can.  But this viewing style appears to be
saved with documents, so you would need to set it only once for each
document.  You could also save a template in Web Layout view, even
perhaps making this your default template for new documents.  But I
see no way of making this happen automatically for documents you
receive from others.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker