Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ondrej Florian <on...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/09 22:51:40 UTC

RESTed - node 'explorer' for the Sling

Hi There,

I just thought I should release some of the code I had in my closed for a while as it may be useful to the wider Sling community.

The first one is RESTed and it is basically a node 'explorer' with potential to become a base for simple development environment.

You'll find it here => https://github.com/onflapp/RESTed

What makes it interesting is that it is build using selectors and JSP's only (no javascript).
This makes it to fit into the Sling itself rather nicely and it also makes it very simple and lean.

The UI itself is 'pure' HTML, styled with bootstrap CSS. But this is no hard requirement.
If you take the bootstrap away, the app will continue to work without any problem, although I would not call it pretty.

RESTed is functional but the source code is not in the best shape as it grew kind of organically over long period of time.
This is the only reason why it lives in its own repository, I do not intended to create separate project out of it.
I just took Bertrand's advice and released it early rather then never.

Perhaps it could be used as a starting point for the new Sling explorer or just as a proof of concept to test different approaches.

Ondrej

P.S. sorry for the cheesy name - it just means REST editor - or something like that ;-)

Re: RESTed - node 'explorer' for the Sling

Posted by Daniel Platon <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ondrej,

I forked the RESTed repo and did some work on it, just to see how it works.
Also, I compiled a small list of changes - see
https://github.com/jollyca/RESTed/issues?state=open
<https://github.com/jollyca/RESTed/issues?state=open>

The list of features sounds great, we should have a wiki page for that at
https://github.com/onflapp/RESTed/wiki
<https://github.com/onflapp/RESTed/wiki>  . Also, everyone should contribute
with their ideas on this list (I'm pretty sure everybody has at least one
idea:) ).

Have a nice day.
_
Dan

Re: RESTed - node 'explorer' for the Sling

Posted by Ondrej Florian <on...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

yes, that would be great!

I am cleaning up the codebase right now.
The main things is to remove all JSP scriptlets and use JSTL instead.

...that should be done by end of the week.

It would be great if we could start compiling list of feature the node browser should have.
WDYT ?

Ondrej

Posted by Ondrej Florian <on...@gmail.com>.
I definitely believe the Sling deserves to have better node explorer then
it does now.

Would it be based on the RESTed? I would be thrilled to have it in there,
however this is something the community needs to decide on.

Having said that, I am very much willing to help out in any case.

----

In my opinion, the node explorer is most likely the first thing new user is
exposed to.
The curl command line access is cool, but the appreciation of it comes much
later down the line.

I actually didn't start to appreciate the power and beauty of the Sling (I
knew, tried it and failed before) until I had an access to the CQ with
CRXDE-lite which enabled me to easily see the content itself. The Sling is
content driven, everything is content, we all know that. But it didn't
really sinked in for me until I was actually able to see it visually.

My rational for creating the RESTed was not just to have a node browser but
also quick and customizable user interface to the content. I do use it
personally as kind of free-form database (along the like of EverNote /
SimpleNote / DevonThink....).

I think this would be the killer 'use case' for the Sling actually. I'll
release some of this stuff later on... perhaps it could be used to inspire
others.

Ondrej

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Robert Munteanu <rm...@adobe.com>.
> Do people think we should have this in Sling, assuming Ondrej is interested
> in maintaining it here? I do.

Speaking mainly as a Sling user, I think it'd be great to have it in Sling.

Lukas and Ondrej mentioned how useful it is to have a high-quality content explorer in Sling so I'm not going to repeat what they said, just +1 it.

Robert

Re: RESTed - node 'explorer' for the Sling

Posted by Lukas Eder <lu...@gmail.com>.
2013/4/10 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:
> Hi Ondrej,
>
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Ondrej Florian <on...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...The first one is RESTed and it is basically a node 'explorer' with potential to become a base for simple development environment.
>> You'll find it here => https://github.com/onflapp/RESTed ...
>
> I briefly tested it (create a node with sling:resourceType, create
> folders and add a rendering script to it), works very well and the
> interface is very intuitive and looks good!
>
> Do people think we should have this in Sling, assuming Ondrej is
> interested in maintaining it here? I do.

+1

At the beginning of discovering Sling, I was going to build a node
explorer myself, as an exercise. Then, like Ondrej, I discovered
CRXDE-lite, so I stopped thinking about this. But it would be a great
tool to:

- understand JCR / Sling as a first-time user
- convince first-time users, that JCR / Sling is a very good thing! :-)

Cheers
Lukas

Re: RESTed - node 'explorer' for the Sling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Ondrej,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Ondrej Florian <on...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...You'll find it here => https://github.com/onflapp/RESTed ...

One issue that I encountered in my tests:

$ curl -u admin:admin -Fsling:resourceType=foo http://localhost:8080/tmp/foo
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.io.Reader.&lt;init&gt;(Reader.java:61)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.&lt;init&gt;(InputStreamReader.java:55)
	at org.apache.sling.servlets.post.HtmlResponse.doSend(HtmlResponse.java:115)
	at com.onflapp.rested.filters.EnhancedPOSTResponse.doSend(POSTResponseCreator.java:61)

-Bertrand