Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr> on 2001/11/03 12:11:10 UTC

Is there any list of Java1 compliant apps available ?

Hello all.
I saw most jakarta/xml projects are very attached to keeping java1
compatibility, but is there any list of which one actually are ?
Also, does anyone also tested compatibility with free JVM, such as kaffee or
japhar ? Having such compatibility ensurance would allow to include
application directly into linux distributions having a strict open-source
policy.
--
Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html

Re: Is there any list of Java1 compliant apps available ?

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Hello all.
> I saw most jakarta/xml projects are very attached to keeping java1
> compatibility, but is there any list of which one actually are ?
> Also, does anyone also tested compatibility with free JVM, such as kaffee or
> japhar ? Having such compatibility ensurance would allow to include
> application directly into linux distributions having a strict open-source
> policy.

I don't know any list. Tomcat3.x should work on JDK1.1, and it was
( ocasionally ) tested with kaffe.

I saw a note recently about GCJ-based builds of various apache projects,
including xalan, xerces, tomcat3.2.3 - http://sources.redhat.com/rhug.

Note that GCJ is not strictly 1.1 - it has a number of 1.2 features as
well ( but not all, so it's not a 1.2 either, just a 1.1 with extensions).
( unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the build and check the
performance, but it is on my list :-)

Costin